Sony and grey imports

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone know whether Sony repair grey import lenses? Obviously not at Sony's cost when outside the warranty. I'm aware that some brands won't touch grey at all

I'm aware that some brands won't touch grey at all

I *think* this is an internet myth, after all are Service Centres going to refuse good money to repair / service equipment brought into the UK by immigrants / holiday makers / business travellers ?

You would think wouldn't you! Just have heard that not all will touch grey. But seeing as they're getting your money and the product is the same as one bought in the U.K. it wouldn't make sense not to. TU

Exactly the above. Someone will repair it for you no doubt, and given the stories I've read about manufacturers work you may be better off with someone independent anyway! (Not Sony btw)

I was in Japan earlier this year. I could have bought a body or lens and brought it back to the UK with me and paid the duty/taxes due. How would a manufacturer differentiate it from a grey? I doubt they could.

How would a manufacturer differentiate it from a grey? I doubt they could.
serial numbers - they know what was shipped where.
A lot of Sony Japan bodies only have Japanese menus - no option to select English etc.

Last edited:
I *think* this is an internet myth, after all are Service Centres going to refuse good money to repair / service equipment brought into the UK by immigrants / holiday makers / business travellers ?

Sigma used to refuse any work on grey, I see they have changed their policy now, as long as you produce proof of having paid vat/duty on import they will work on grey equipment now.

They know they shipped it to, say, Hong Kong and I buy it in Hong Kong.

They know they shipped it to Hong Kong and I buy it in the UK as grey from a Hong Kong supplier like Panamoz.

Are they able to tell which route it took to the UK?

They know they shipped it to, say, Hong Kong and I buy it in Hong Kong.

They know they shipped it to Hong Kong and I buy it in the UK as grey from a Hong Kong supplier like Panamoz.

Are they able to tell which route it took to the UK?

they don't need to - regardless of whether you bought it in HK or bought it from HK they can tell it was bought out of region (so for waranty purposes if its not subject to a global waranty it would need to go back to HK ) and if you purchased it in HK and brought it in yourself you should have declared it at customs

Last edited:
If it hasn't come in through official channels you pay for the repair. Plain. Simple

That's the risk you take when you buy Grey

Thanks guys. I'd like to think they would repair if I was paying for it.

A lot of Sony Japan bodies only have Japanese menus - no option to select English etc.
Didn't know this. Glad I asked the question now as I've never bought a grey body but could have been sorely tempted with the a6300 as the price when it came out was £999 or $999 body only - and that didn't best please me :)

Canon repaired my grey 5D3 and 24-105.

Yes, but was this under warranty or did you have to pay for it?

I don't know how the various manufacturers look at this in the UK, but Nikon South Africa wouldn't work on grey imports in the past, whether you were prepared to pay or not. This may have changed now, I don't know, and Canon have always regarded it as an out of warranty repair.

Back