Sony cash back

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Anybody actually managed to make a claim?

They seem to be making it as hard as possible. After waiting the standard 30 days from purchase, I sent in my claim with the required copies of receipts and a photo of the item showing the serial number too. all accepted ok with an acknowledgment email saying I'll get the cash back in 28 days time. Now two weeks after making the claim I've just had another email, this time asking for a photo of my hand holding the item plus a hand-written note with my name on it, not only showing the serial number again but also the model details.

Just waiting for the next email asking for my inside leg measurement!

Anybody actually managed to make a claim?

They seem to be making it as hard as possible. After waiting the standard 30 days from purchase, I sent in my claim with the required copies of receipts and a photo of the item showing the serial number too. all accepted ok with an acknowledgment email saying I'll get the cash back in 28 days time. Now two weeks after making the claim I've just had another email, this time asking for a photo of my hand holding the item plus a hand-written note with my name on it, not only showing the serial number again but also the model details.

Just waiting for the next email asking for my inside leg measurement!

Never had to do that before, that's taking the P. Speak to the manager and ask them if it's in their t&cs because you've proven purchase already. That seems pretty dodgy.

Perhaps someone else is trying to claim using that serial number and they need to clarify who actually owns the item?

I had a long and very drawn out experience last year trying to claim cashback from Sony. I think they are the worst camera manufacturer I’ve ever encountered when it comes to parting with their money!
The only thing I can suggest is persistence is the key, however you may have to get angry by telephone, as I did, to finally get your cash as they are a nightmare and are happy to play silly buggers just to delay payment imo!

I’ve claimed from Sony twice, both times got it in my account really fast. Not had a problem.

I’ve claimed from Sony twice, both times got it in my account really fast. Not had a problem.

Just out of interest, was that recently?

I had been told by the retailers that there had been a lot of fraudulent claims, and Sony were being extra careful, but I'd have though in this day and age tying up serial numbers with purchases would be pretty easy. I've been accepted onto their Pro Support scheme so going to take it up with them on Monday, considering the amount of money I've spent with them switching from Nikon, the few hundred pounds in cash back seems a lot of unnecessary hassle to me.

Just out of interest, was that recently?

I had been told by the retailers that there had been a lot of fraudulent claims, and Sony were being extra careful, but I'd have though in this day and age tying up serial numbers with purchases would be pretty easy. I've been accepted onto their Pro Support scheme so going to take it up with them on Monday, considering the amount of money I've spent with them switching from Nikon, the few hundred pounds in cash back seems a lot of unnecessary hassle to me.

I can only find one of the emails, I think i done it twice. I can only find the confirmation for July 2018. Although my last new lens was 24GM which didn't have cashback.

I put in a claim with Sony in the second half of last November and it was paid in early December without problems.
I suspect admirable's suggestion may be close to the truth.

I also claimed cashback (though a few years back now) on a couple of Sony lenses, and the process was reasonably simple, though not as quick as perhaps it could be .

I suspect the 30 day initial pause it to prevent people buying online to get the serial number, then returning for a refund AND claiming the cashback.

I have claimed 3 times, each time I had the payment in less than 2 weeks. One of them was paid within 4 days. Can’t fault them really, have never had cash back paid so quickly by any other business.

How strange... I claimed for an A7iii I bought on Black Friday, waited a month and was a bit concerned as my claim should have been a double cash back amount - correct money paid in a couple of days later!

I have claimed 3 times, each time I had the payment in less than 2 weeks. One of them was paid within 4 days. Can’t fault them really, have never had cash back paid so quickly by any other business.

Interesting, it's even on their written T&C's that payment will be 28 days after claiming.

I suspect the 30 day initial pause it to prevent people buying online to get the serial number, then returning for a refund AND claiming the cashback.

Yes that's exactly true, apparently its been major issue with Sony recently.

I claimed last year all easy. This year they want hand written note me holding camera etc. I did that and they didn't zoom in to see the serial number and told me I hadn't provided one. I said zoom in !!! Anyway sent a new photo . I think it will be paid eventually.

Just as an update, my first two claims were paid, and I've just put in a new one for another body. Interestingly now when you supply proof of purchase it asks for the photo of your hand holding the item showing the serial number and a signed bit of paper with your name on.

Obviously must have been getting stung badly.

Back