Sony DSLR /SLT

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I am looking for an A mount camera, cropped sensor with autofocus and iso performance not worse than NEX 6.

Any recommendations from cheapest possible?

I will be using it as a second camera with either 70-200 f2.8 or 100-300 f4 attached, for indor sports.

Thank you.
Pawel

Hmmm A6300 may work better with those adapted lenses if you want to stay with E mount. Will you be using AF? If not probs the A6000.

Otherwise if you want to invest in a dead system buy the A7 or A7ii.

Last edited:
Thanks but i want to keep the budget for the body to an absolute minimum. Currently considering a77 mk1 for around £300, but it is probably "too good" for my needs. E mount and adapters is way too expensive considering the cost of the lenses, and lac of third party lenses.

The A58 isn't bad at all, and probably as good in sensor terms as the A77 MkI. Controls will be nicer on the A77.

A77’s a very good camera, does it matter if it has more features than you need?

A5*** series? According to good ol' DXO, the A5100 would be a good bet. The A77 and A58 actually fall well below your requirements, which is ISO performance. Whereas the A5000+ perform much better.

A5*** series? According to good ol' DXO, the A5100 would be a good bet. The A77 and A58 actually fall well below your requirements, which is ISO performance. Whereas the A5000+ perform much better.
DXO scores can be misleading, the difference between 800 and 1000 is very little and in the real world I doubt you’d see a difference. There’s two big issues with the a5100 for the OP. Firstly it’s not A-mount, and secondly there’s no viewfinder (y)

No it does not, but if I can get what I need for less £££ then i can spend my £££ elsewhere (lens for example).
Your only other options SLT wise are the A58 and A65, which may save you up to £100 (talking used prices here).

Don't forget the A68 which has a superb focusing system and can be picked up from about £300 S/h.

I'll vote for the Sony a68 - I have one as a backup for my 2x a77 Mk2's :) I have never used it

Don't forget the A68 which has a superb focusing system and can be picked up from about £300 S/h.
Yes i was targeting a68 as the "ideal one" but cannot find below £350, whereas a77 can be found cheaper at circa £300. This will be my choice unless I can convince myself than a58 is enough for what I need. Currently I have a feeling I will go for a77.

AF of pre-A77ii Sony bodies sucks for sports. I wouldn't bother with them if your buying this with pure intention of shooting Tele lenses for sports. In fact you are better off with a6000 which can be had under your budget.
But e-mount lenses are expensive.

Perhaps look at buying a canon 7D?

It is great, but the A77 can be had for the same price used and obviously the A77 is better (y)

A77 is not better. The AF sucks for sports.
Are you sure about that? The A77 is a better camera than the A65 in pretty much every way, including the AF system. The AF system is pretty similar though, the A77 just has more points including more cross type. I had the A77 and it was more than capable of shooting sports, and I believe it to be better than the Nex-6 in this regards too (y)

Are you sure about that? The A77 is a better camera than the A65 in pretty much every way, including the AF system. The AF system is pretty similar though, the A77 just has more points including more cross type. I had the A77 and it was more than capable of shooting sports, and I believe it to be better than the Nex-6 in this regards too (y)

It's better than A65 for sure but not A68. Two different cameras :)

Err sure I have great wildlife action shots with A99 and A7 but that doesnt make their AF good for that purpose. Even the decade old D300/700 are better than these in terms of AF.

Talking about the A68 which has the same focus system as the a77ii.

It's better than A65 for sure but not A68. Two different cameras :)

Err sure I have great wildlife action shots with A99 and A7 but that doesnt make their AF good for that purpose. Even the decade old D300/700 are better than these in terms of AF.

Talking about the A68 which has the same focus system as the a77ii.

Oops my bad, early morning and all that, read it as the A65 not a68 :oops: :$:LOL:

The D300 and D700 have excellent AF systems though, so that's not a negative for the A77 imo. Sure it's not quite as good as pro level/the most modern cameras but the A77 is still a damn good AF system imo. The A77-ii (and A68 ;)) are obviously that bit better (y)

Oops my bad, early morning and all that, read it as the A65 not a68 :oops: :$:LOL:

The D300 and D700 have excellent AF systems though, so that's not a negative for the A77 imo. Sure it's not quite as good as pro level/the most modern cameras but the A77 is still a damn good AF system imo. The A77-ii (and A68 ;)) are obviously that bit better (y)
They are lot better in that they actually offer decent AF customisations ;)

It is kinda a negative for Sony since they still haven't caught up on a-mount. May be A99II has finally caught up but I haven't used it to comment.

Yes i was targeting a68 as the "ideal one" but cannot find below £350, whereas a77 can be found cheaper at circa £300. This will be my choice unless I can convince myself than a58 is enough for what I need. Currently I have a feeling I will go for a77.
If you look at the sold listings on e-bay the last A68 went for £319, might be worth waiting for the next one to come up at the right price.

DXO scores can be misleading, the difference between 800 and 1000 is very little and in the real world I doubt you’d see a difference. There’s two big issues with the a5100 for the OP. Firstly it’s not A-mount, and secondly there’s no viewfinder (y)

Fair enough, it was all I could go by as I don't really know the line up, but there's got to be something to their numbers.

Fair enough, it was all I could go by as I don't really know the line up, but there's got to be something to their numbers.
I don’t fully understand DXO’s scoring either but take the D500 and D750 for example. They score 1324 and 2956 respectively yet from using them I only found about 2/3 stop difference. On that basis I would expect a score difference of 200 to be negligible. Of course it would be more negligible if it was 3000 vs 2800 rather than 1000 vs 800 but still not enough to worry about. That’s how I see it anyway, YMMV (y)

Back