Review Sony FDR-AX53

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
don't get me wrong it is an amazing camcorder. One stupid thing I have not seen mentioned anywhere is the Fader in the menu setup . Absolutly mad , you can set to fade in in black or white at the start of a video in the standby mode, however to get it to fade out you have to be in record mode. this means touching the screen to get to that part of the menu with obvious results.
Why on earth did Sony do this?? Far better to be able to switch fader on and off manually so it fades in and out at the start/end of recording.
I have queried this with Sony and awaiting their answer

ok post editing can do this but why not the camcorder?

Last edited:
don't get me wrong it is an amazing camcorder. One stupid thing I have not seen mentioned anywhere is the Fader in the menu setup . Absolutly mad , you can set to fade in in black or white at the start of a video in the standby mode, however to get it to fade out you have to be in record mode. this means touching the screen to get to that part of the menu with obvious results.
Why on earth did Sony do this?? Far better to be able to switch fader on and off manually so it fades in and out at the start/end of recording.
I have queried this with Sony and awaiting their answer

ok post editing can do this but why not the camcorder?
I can see your frustration especially as you are able to fade in, but features cost money and after all the Sony FDR-AX53 is in the lower price bracket for a 4K camcorder.

Sony referred to a link which I had already viewed. Pity they don't have someone on their team with a bit of common sense and try out the product first. All it needs is a bit of reprogramming to correct. They could issue an update with a fix
Have to say even so it is an amazing camcorder so different from my old Panasonic HC-X900M which lasted me 10 years ant went to many countries with me

Last edited:
Update
Sony FDR AX53 sold ! yes we have parted ways. It was a great bit of kit but one huge problem was if you wanted a setting the camcorder autmatically altered all the others andthere was nothing one could do about it. so got anther camcorder on order should be here next week .

I'm thinking of getting an AX53 just for casual use, family and all that, despite its shortcomings would you still recommend it ?

short answer is no don't get one.

I had one and got so frustrated with lack of individual adjustments and optical stablisation is not all it is cracked up to be .all hype. A better alternative is the Panasonic HC- VXF990EBK @ £499 .
If anything the image stablisation alone is far better than the Sony I found. Like anything it is what you feel suits you best so it is up to you

Looks ok in adverts etc so so annoying not being able to have full control over it as you will also find later on having used it a few times.

You did ask so that is my opinion so check it out first
A little tip get one of these to save finger prints on the viewing screen

High Sensitive stylus

61kHCHF4ktL._AC_SS390_.jpg
get them on Amazon makes it far easier to use the touch screen.

Last edited:
short answer is no don't get one.

I had one and got so frustrated with lack of individual adjustments and optical stablisation is not all it is cracked up to be .all hype. A better alternative is the Panasonic HC- VXF990EBK @ £499 .
If anything the image stablisation alone is far better than the Sony I found. Like anything it is what you feel suits you best so it is up to you

Looks ok in adverts etc so so annoying not being able to have full control over it as you will also find later on having used it a few times.

You did ask so that is my opinion so check it out first
A little tip get one of these to save finger prints on the viewing screen

High Sensitive stylus

View attachment 379522
get them on Amazon makes it far easier to use the touch screen.

What about the Panasonic HC-VXF1 4K, they retail around the £650 mark ?

What about the Panasonic HC-VXF1 4K, they retail around the £650 mark ?
I wuld be looking at what I would get extra for the £150 more you would be paying. Think of the number of ice creams you could buy for that £150 ;). compare specs of each then decide. That £150 would get you a decent external stereo microphone such as the Panasonic VW_VMS10 which I also have and a decent hairy deadcat as well. Wind blowing over a camcorder microphone any camcorder causes a rumble hence a deadcat is worth getting

Last edited:
I wuld be looking at what I would get extra for the £150 more you would be paying.

A comparison of them can be found HERE
It says in that review the 990 doesnt have HDMI, well mine does, My eyesight isnt brilliant so I have used it attached to a 7 inch monitor through the HDMI port to getter a better view of what i'm looking at.

I shot this video last week, Youtube this was the second time i had used it.

A comparison of them can be found HERE
It says in that review the 990 doesnt have HDMI, well mine does, My eyesight isnt brilliant so I have used it attached to a 7 inch monitor through the HDMI port to getter a better view of what i'm looking at.

I shot this video last week, Youtube this was the second time i had used it.
I must admit they look pretty cool, the main thing though is the MV Agusta, what a beaut.

Back