Sony flash setup for weddings, no bounce.

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

My Dad is photographing his friend's wedding, this winter at this location...

norton.jpg

He has an A6500, Batis 25mm and 85mm lenses.

He hasn't bought a flash, and has no experience in using them effectively.

Can anyone recommend a flash, and modifier?

I am still personally confused on the best way to go about direct flash without mounting a beauty dish to my camera :) I understand you're going to have a small light source, but a diffuser will still help with shadows, no?

thanks

Hi,

I have been a fan of the Nissin Air1 flash system as its pretty small and powerful GN60 @ ISO100 - 200mm, had it both for my Sony and Fuji setups and both now offer HSS on and off-camera.
Admittedly I try and use flash very little but when I do the Nissin system has not let me down.

On-camera flash would be the first option for a beginner, something to get used to and the cheaper option.
The Nissin i40a is a great little flash although the Nissin one's aren't the cheapest on the market. You can then get a flash modifier, I use a Rouge Flash Bender, they are great little diffusers that you can bend into different shapes.

On-camera flash would be the first option for a beginner, something to get used to and the cheaper option.

Do you shoot off-camera flash for weddings?

I've thought about it - perhaps setting up flashes around a room or something..

Do you shoot off-camera flash for weddings?

I've thought about it - perhaps setting up flashes around a room or something..

Yes I have used off-camera flash, its better as you can control and position them more accurately, I just use the Air1 commander on the body and then deploy 2 flashes on stands around the dance floor.
If I am being honest I need to delve/practice more using flash photography but so far I have got by ok, they key is to get the light where you need it.

Yes I have used off-camera flash, its better as you can control and position them more accurately, I just use the Air1 commander on the body and then deploy 2 flashes on stands around the dance floor.
If I am being honest I need to delve/practice more using flash photography but so far I have got by ok, they key is to get the light where you need it.

Cool I should have to give it a go :)

One for key, one for rim lighting? shooting with crowd at rear?

The Godox tt685 + X1 trigger. Zack Arias would probably recommend an umbrella on a small stick/handheld monopod. To me the smaller 350 is pushing it a bit to far.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Godox tt685 + X1 trigger. Zack Arias would probably recommend an umbrella on a small stick/handheld monopod. To me the smaller 350 is pushing it a bit to far.

I'd be using the Godox 360 personally if I tried the off camera stuff, but I could recommend the tt685 for my Dad's on camera flash solution.

I'd second the godox 685 they're great wee flashes. Good thing about the 685 on camera is if you have other godox flashes it acts as controller for all flashes so no extra triggers needed.

Personally I'd still be bouncing in that room and either colour correct as much as I could or worst case go b&w when processing. I reckon you could custom white balance pretty close from a wood panel I've bounced off a pinky/red celing at a reception and just used wb to get good enough results, I've found a low ceiling far worse for using bounce than coloured.

Unless you have an assistant moving the light for you I think ocf is better for kickers than key at reception they're usually far away so you end up too hard regardless of modifier and can't control where people are standing in relation to them.

Another vote for the Godox 685, however it's a pretty large flash which may be pretty odd on the A6500.

Combined with an XT-1 however, you could do some nice OCF stuff just holding the flash which would be pretty manageable with the smaller body... Let's you bounce, or direct (with modifier) quickly and easily without faffing with monopods.

If IF you really will get yourself into trouble and use flash on camera then yes the tt685 is to big, heavier than the a6000 and the tt350 is a better choise also able to control other godox units like the x1 trigger.

Making "soft light" calls for something way bigger than the small matchsoftboxes for on camera use and that means off camera flash unless offcource you accept hard shadows.

Making "soft light" calls for something way bigger than the small matchsoftboxes for on camera use and that means off camera flash unless offcource you accept hard shadows.

My dad will get the 350, don't want to over complicate things for him.

I however I should look to improve lighting at weddings to increase quality.

Regarding modifiers and off camera flash. Its not complicated just erhm bulky. A shoot through or reflective umbrella,not neccesarilly this big and a flashbracket is all thats needed. A handle on the bracket will enable you to get "direction" of your light.
DSC00143.JPG
PICT_20170706_151223.JPG
Edit
Just to give an idea of a possible setup. exposure, focus and composition not regarded. Pretty much oof :)

Regarding modifiers and off camera flash. Its not complicated just erhm bulky. A shoot through or reflective umbrella,not neccesarilly this big and a flashbracket is all thats needed. A handle on the bracket will enable you to get "direction" of your light.
View attachment 105521

it's not complicated to us, but my Dad is pretty new to it all - doesn't know how to balance ambient light yet, and may end up going full auto,

I'm no a stranger to carrying a studio with me.. but do you use that setup at weddings? for evening candids?

I suppose I only currently get the flash out for cake cut and first dance, pretty much after that it's all dancing shots and some posed couple shots by this point..

Last edited:
I have had my two tt685 for about a year now (so new to all this)and i dont/didnt find balancing light complicated in any way. Just dont overthink or let yourself be intimidated with all those words and doodaa or how it used to be. Off cource one can get into trouble and make mistakes, mostly in placing the light but unless your on the southern hemisphere and the wedding is soon there is time to play, read, watch youtube and learn a couple of bullitproof setups that will give you pleasing light all the time

I am big fan of the godox system but if I have to use single camera mounted flash then the nissin i60 is my go to for either my a7rii or a6000. About the same size as the godox tt350 but much more power, I have tried the tt350 but just find it lacking power to offern. The nissin flashs are expensive compared godox but are well made and for compact units pack a punch. If you are not worried about size then something like the tt685 is ok.

Back