Sony -Macro Lens advice

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all :)
Really missing my macro lens I used with my Canon set up and wanted to ask the Sony users what they use for Macro shots.
I know Sony has a super macro lens but wondered if there is anything cheaper I could look at.
I have the Sony A9

I have considered those macro extension tubes for the odd time I'd like to use it.
They are cheap enough to try a few times and give up on if no good.
See some on ebay under £20

I have considered those macro extension tubes for the odd time I'd like to use it.
They are cheap enough to try a few times and give up on if no good.
See some on ebay under £20
Think that’s a good idea if you have a lens to add to them. I don’t have a smaller lens yet mostly use my Sony 200-600

I've been using a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 which seems to be rather nice and is a true 1:1. I would I suppose like a longer lens for the perspective and there are some nice film era macro lenses out there.

Sony mount wise... I'm sure someone will be along to tell you about the options soon.

I'd advice going with one of Sony 90mm f2.8 macro or sigma 105mm f2.8 DN macro (make sure its the newer DN version for mirrorless).

Sony 50mm f2.8 macro is cheaper but the AF is really bad.

Tamron 20mm, 24mm and 35mm f2.8 primes do 1:2 i.e. 0.5x magnification. you can easily get them to 1:1 magnification with extension tubes. but the working distance will be small.

Tokina firin 100mm f2.8 macro is cheaper too but like hen's tooth and may be even discontinued :-O

there is also a sigma 70mm f2.8 art which is a DSLR lens ported to e-mount.

if you don't mind MF for macro lenses
laowa 100mm f2.8 does up to 2x magnification. The focus throw is really small especially for a macro lens that goes from infinity to 2x. That annoyed the hell out of me but otherwise its incredible.
Laowa has also made a new small 85mm f5.6 macro lens that also goes up 2x magnification. Not as sharp as lenses above but its small and portable and sharp enough.

Last edited:
Back