Sony NEX-7

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone seen any info about this camera? Photos and specs have been leaked from a 'reliable' source claiming it will have a 24mp sensor with 1080p 50/24 video recording, hopefully with full time continuous auto-focus.

More info at http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

I'm going to wait a while until Sony officially make a press release and once reviews are released of it, but if the rumors so far ring true and the performance is decent I may jump ship from my 5d mark ii to the NEX. It looks a really nice little portable camera that doesn't look intrusive to carry around and hopefully it will have the similar 24mp sensor that the current A series have.

I think the only issue could be lens choice, hopefully Zeiss will make more lenses as the NEX becomes more popular.

It's not the same sensor as the a850/900, itll be a new 24mp aps-c sensor.

For me, the big drawbacks of the NEX range are the slow CDAF and limited lens support (unless you're into mf). IMO, the a77, with it's PDAF and better range of lenses, will be by far the better camera.

The thing is, for someone who no longer wants the bulk of a DSLR, this might be a nice compromise. I think we'd all have to accept that there will be shortcomings compared to a fully fledged DSLR, you'll never get something like this performing at a 5d mark II or above sort of standard (well not in the near future anyway!) If it means taking the camera around to places you'd otherwise not consider with a DSLR then it may well be a decent choice.

For me, I just feel that sometimes a big camera is too intrusive and a pain in the rear end to carry around, especially in crowded areas where a DSLR is more noticed.

Comparing the NEX-5N (the updated NEX 5) to the 7, it might be a difficult decision as the latter looks a fair bit bigger but with it come some really impressive specs, though I guess when compared to the 5d mark ii the NEX 7 still a fair bit smaller though.

Apparently these are confirmed specs for both:

NEX-5N
16.1 MP Exmor sensor (Same us Sony NEX-C3)
ISO 100-25600
1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 video recording
Shutter 1/4000
10 fps
Can take over 430 shots with one battery
Same AF speed as the GH2

NEX-7
24,3 Exmor HD sensor
100-16.000 ISO
1200 zone metering
1920×1080 60p/60i/24p AVCHD 2.0 (28Mbit/s) video recording
3 million dot XGA OLED viewfinder
3inch 921k TruBlack LCD display (touchscreen)
10 fps
20ms startup time
Built-in flash
New universal hot shoe
Battery life for over 400 shots
Magnesium alloy body

Can imagine they'll both come with a nice price tag also.

Last edited:
Looks interesting, but will Sony introduce some premium lenses for it?

Zeiss 24mm f1.8
Sony 55-210 f4-6.3 OSS
Sony 50mm f1.8 OSS

Those 3 are rumoured to be announced on the 24th August.

Does 24MP even make sense on an APS-C sized sensor? Does anyone know lenses that resolve that highly?

Zeiss 24mm f1.8
Sony 55-210 f4-6.3 OSS
Sony 50mm f1.8 OSS

Those 3 are rumoured to be announced on the 24th August.

Zeiss 24mm sounds very interesting. I'm liking the fact companies are realising there is a gap in the market for some quality premium lenses.

Back