Sony...... PFFFFT!

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
So..... I think this may well be the final nail in the coffin for Sony. I've thought about moving over to Nikon for a while but this has pushed me over the edge.

A few weeks ago my lightstand blew over and my Sony flashgun was damaged. The small plastic mount on the hotshoe snapped, it's literally a small piece of plastic that has snapped and it looks like a modular part, so I wasn't too concerned as I assumed that it would be an easy repair.

I went through the repairs process on the Sony website and sent it back to them. A few days later I received a phone call from the Sony repair centre telling me that they aren't able to repair camera equipment if it is out of warranty, I told them that I'm willing to pay for the work but then she explained to me that they do not repair flashguns, they simply replace them when they're in warranty. :thinking: - I must have confused myself with the 'REPAIR' word used in 'Repair centre'.

I've since rang Fixation who tell me that they only repair Canon / Nikon equipment - I'm stuck! Before I throw my toys out of the pram and eBay all of my gear.... is there any other places I should try which may be able to repair it?

Sorry to hear that I'm a dedicated Sony man :eek:

No insurance then?????

If that happened to ANY of my Sony gear- I'd simply claim the cost of a replacement through my Equipment Insurance Policy ;)

That said- can you not repair this flash yourself, you say its a small plastic modular part -Super glue???

Les ;)

If not- I look forward to seeing some tasty Sony equipment in the Sales section :D

It's probably not cost effective for them to offer a repair service on the flashgun - the small plastic piece that snapped off, maybe part of the body and require a major strip down - some of the electronic devices we deal with at worth are like this - if it's faulty in warranty will just be replaced, if outside, then it's in the bin, as they say it is not cost effective to offer a repair service with labour and parts costs...

Like Les says, can you not glue it back - pop to a local Model shop and try some glue they sell, another option maybe to try to find a dead flashgun same as yours and see if you can swap things about...

it's actually possible to replace the base, but you need to get a donor iISO base something like a cheapo minolta 3200i flash from ebay

It's insured, but it's not the point!

I'd rather pay a fixed price repair than risk increased premiums next year; I have my public liability insurance and all my camera gear covered under one policy.

I will give Dave @ Camerarepairworkshop a call, thanks.

Which flash was it?

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably just get a replacement and be done with it. Back when I was a Sony shooter I had the Metz 50-AF1 which I think is/was a great flash. In fact so much so I got another when I switched to Nikon.

Which flash was it?

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably just get a replacement and be done with it. Back when I was a Sony shooter I had the Metz 50-AF1 which I think is/was a great flash. In fact so much so I got another when I switched to Nikon.

Yes, I have a Metz 58 AF-2 which is an awesome flash.

It is the HVAL-58AM (from memory) which are £400.

Could have been worse. You could have switched to Nikon and have some brand new nikon flashes hit the deck ;)

Dunno. Last time I broke the foot on a Nikon flashgun (before they switched to metal) it was a £12 while you wait repair. Most common repair they did (and probably why they switched to metal).

Idiotic of Sony not to repair, but doesn't surprise me TBH. They have some very good cameras. If they could get pros to use them then pros would use them. But they don't seem to spot the obvious problems.

If it is a top of the range flash then it is extremely dumb of Sony not to repair them.

Wonder if calumet knows of anyone?

yeah thats odd :(, i think its fairly common to just replace a broken electronical thing now, rather than repair :/

Back