Sony RX 100 M3 or Ricoh GR

Edit My Images
No
Does anybody have any comments of the above 2 cameras and one vs the other.

I'm relatively green in terms of camera specs and how they translate, if I google it snapsort things the image quality is better (link below) with the Ricoh and I will mainly be using it for stills
http://snapsort.com/compare/Ricoh-GR-Hands-on-P-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-III

I'd be interested to hear what other's thoughts are on 1 vs the the other, one obvious difference in functionality is the Sony has a zoom although probably picture quality would over ride not having a zoom.

Any help much appreciated!!

What will you be shooting? I have considered both of these models for a pocket take anywhere camera.

Take a look at what people have managed to shoot here for Ricoh and here for RX100 to see what can be achieved and if it fits with what you want to shoot.

The Ricoh has an interesting feature whereby it lets you set the focus distance and you can snap away.

Also consider the LX100 and X100S within the same price range.

If you are not sure then RX100 is the right choice. I use a Ricoh GRD and GR.

redlion .... it'll mainly be for landscape type photos, houses, hotels etc

sphexx ... is there any reason you say go with the RX 100, the Ricoh is "meant" to have better picture quality??

the sony has a 2.7x crop factor like the nikon 1 series but the gr is 1.5x like a budget dslr

Sorry .. this is where my green ness shows that has gone whoosh over my head but it's obviously good :)

I've just googled and found some explanations so will have look through those later after work and see if I can get my head round what it means so thanks for that!!!

redlion .... it'll mainly be for landscape type photos, houses, hotels etc

sphexx ... is there any reason you say go with the RX 100, the Ricoh is "meant" to have better picture quality??
The 2 cameras are not remotely similar except in overal size. You would have to want the Ricoh's (very good) fixed 28mm em lens (or maybe the excellent 21mm eq accessory lens) to choose the Ricoh over the Sony. You say "mainly for stills" but nobody buys the GR to use for video - it's there but only for when you must have a video and have nothing better.
Redlion's suggestion to look on Flickr and see what sort of photos the two cameras are used for is a good starting point.

Redlion's suggestion to look on Flickr and see what sort of photos the two cameras are used for is a good starting point.

OK have now done this now and thank you redlion for the suggestion, what strikes me is the Ricoh generally seems to be used a lot more in closer up situations and the RX 100 seems to be more scenic / further afield am I correct in my comparison??

I've also looked at about 6 different web sites and various videos trying to explain what crop factor is apart from suggesting that you need to be closer / further away to obtain the same shot not 1 of them actually explains what advantage / disadvantage one may have over the other and which is actually better.
I get trying to interpret that myself though I'm guessing the less it's cropped ie 1.5 as opposed to 2.5 will produce better quality as you have to be further away with the 2.5 to catch the same image and whether it's your eyes or a camera the further away you physically are the less detail you're going to be able to capture ..... or have I totally got the wrong end of the stick???
Therefore the closer you are to the subject the better the quality is going to be???

I've posted a link here of the typical type of thing I'm doing in case that sways people's opinions in one direction, "zoom" with all of these has been go closer or further away
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xjyuqoejfuvvxrv/AACvOt9Bd9byVxAn1Lh_V7BGa?dl=0

Please bear with me, sorry seems like a million questions and the penny will drop but I'd really like to get my head round and actually understand it.

Firstly don't worry about crop factor:)

The Ricoh camera has a fixed wide angle lens i.e it's always wide angle.

The Sony has a zoom wich starts from wide angle (usefully wider than the Ricoh) and it zooms to a short telephoto focal length. A zoom is infinitely more flexible than a fixed focal length so I suspect the Sony would meet your requirements.

The Ricoh will have slightly better image quality.

I think if I stand back from it and taking everyone's comments into account they're probably both incredibly good cameras and I just need to decide if the fractionally better quality photo from the Ricoh outweighs the "use ability" of the Sony with a zoom and I guess either will give me some superb results.

Thanks to everyone for their help and input!!!

I used to own the GR and liked it a lot and my OH currently owns an RX100 - I'd say the RX100 would have more general appeal as the GR is very much a "niche" camera with a strong following especially amongst street photography shooters. They are both very good cameras but lack of zoom on the GR would put off most people. Things I liked on the GR were it was very ergonomic (it was never built to sell on looks alone!) and the controls were easy to set up just how you wanted them. I liked the way I could manually focus and you could choose from about 10 different focus distances but some cameras just seem to have a "near far" scale with no markings. The GR shoots DNG which I like - the RX100 shoots sony's own raw format which either needs converting to DNG first if you have old raw software (or you have to use sony's own raw software package). I have noticed that wide angle shots from the RX100 show barrel distortion if you use raw software that does not recognise and correct this.

My choice would be the Ricoh gr......hands down.
I was a Fuji x shooter for a long time but fancied something pocketable to take on holiday soon ( Cyprus for 3 weeks :) ).
Anyway here's a couple of points.
The GR is a lot cheaper.
The GR has a aps-c size sensor :).

I never played with a gr before I brought one and was pleasantly surprised by the built and button lay out (very user friendly).
But above all the surprising features that make this camera top choice for me is the snap focus feature, no more hit n miss focus, no focus point to worry about :), just select f4 1/2000 if out doors n shoot, setting snap focus to around 2.5 meters.
Another thing I love is the built in film sim of cross process.
Here's a link to my Flickr, you can see the type of photos I'm taking.
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/63567230@N08/

Back