Sony RX Series United Thread (Any RX Camera)

I was taking pics of waves crashing into rocks the other day with the RX100M7. All was quite spectacular, and I was moving around taking pics from different positions. An example below. Though quite large waves, I had not seen anyone get splashed with any direct water other than spray. A few waves must have converged to cover the platform I was on though, drenching me and the 3-4 people near me. :ROFLMAO: At first we all just burst out laughing, and then I looked at the M7 covered in water. :eek:

Thankfully I had tissues and a lens cloth in my pocket. And quickly dried it off, crossing my fingers. Salt water and cameras do not mix. I seem to have got away with it. Phew!
R7B01318A_1.jpg

Last edited:
That's one "Excellent" landscape style capture Mike, pushes all the right buttons for me.

"I really must start to use my RX units again as the results from them are amazing"

Two very nice landscape style capture, particularly liking #1.
Thank you George. I appreciate your reply.
This camera keeps surprising me. In the last 25 years I have only every printed and framed one photograph and that was taken with this camera. I never printed any from my previous cameras.

Not that I've used it that much I do like this wee camera, should use it more this year with doing the photo a week too. To be fair only actually bought it for out in the motorhome but seems a shame not to use it more. To that end I did buy and fit the stick on rubber grip but yesterday ordered the smallrig "grip" NOT the cage which was only £43 delivered and having just fitted it Im pleased.

I keep seeing fabulous photos from the likes of mstphoto / snapsh0t and others.

I have the RX100 VI, and cannot get anything like the same image quality out of it.
I have reset it several times and also tried different metering methods etc.
Any tips on recommended settings for landscape / village type of scenes.
I live in the Cotswolds so plenty of fields / villages like Chipping Campden etc with lots of character.

I keep it at max f5.6 and as low an iso as i can, in Aperature Priority.
What do you set as your max autoiso setting 6400 ?

Do you guys tweak the raw file a great deal in Photoshop / Lightroom etc.
I have DXO Photolabs v6 and perform basic crop if needed / straighten / lift exposure / recover highlights and thats it.
I find it can struggle with recovering highlights on a sunny day which i assume is down to the limitations of dynamic range of the 1" sensor size

So it could be that i need to improve my post processing technique, or simply that you guys are much better photographers - most likely :)

I have DXO Photolabs v6 and perform basic crop if needed / straighten / lift exposure / recover highlights and thats it.
I find it can struggle with recovering highlights on a sunny day which i assume is down to the limitations of dynamic range of the 1" sensor size

So it could be that i need to improve my post processing technique, or simply that you guys are much better photographers - most likely :)

I'm not one of those you listed, I'm just a random snapper with a mk7. But I think I take okay photies, at least some of the time. There's some of mine in this thread further up.

I'd suggest posting a couple of examples, with metadata so we can see what you mean and make suggestions.

I'm always in manual mode so I get to control everything. I tried using A, P, etc but never really got on with it being a point a shoot as I'm used to fully manual on the 'big camera'. That said. I keep ISO low, like lowest possible for the conditions. Mostly 100, sometimes 200, in winter I might hit 400 or 800 at times in the woods. F8 is my usual, again I'll drop that down to F7.1 or F6.3 if I need to keep shutter speed up. I also set AF mode to single spot, so I half press on what I want in focus and then recompose. Metering average, which since I'm in manual just gives me an indication but typically I'm a stop down.. Image stabilisation is of course on. Jpg quality is fine.

I do tweak from raw in Capture One, but like you most of the time it's just simple dynamic range, tame the highlights, bring up the shadows, add a touch of clarity.

Thanks @BethAtTheHug
I didn’t list you by name but I have enjoyed seeing your posts, it’s impossible to list all the good photographers in this thread.
I need to try other options than just leaving it in AP / P mode
I have found in P mode, the shutter speed drops to low speeds which are not handhold able rather than bumping up the iso.
Both my 2 other Sony cameras behave the same way

I have the RX100 VI, and cannot get anything like the same image quality out of it.
I live in the Cotswolds so plenty of fields / villages like Chipping Campden etc with lots of character.

Thanks for the compliment, Simon
I tend to keep the ISO below 800 (if possible) and f8 or below
I usually always have the camera in M mode and bracket so that I am capturing all the light without blowing the highlights and blocking shadows.
I then blend the images to even out the exposure using masks.
My images are sometimes tweaked in Nik Color Efex for a bit of "Artistic License"

The RX100 range are capable of capturing great images but I have to confess that a lot of my images are heavily worked on - more so than my FF cameras.
Stick at it mate ;)

Thanks for the compliment. I hate post-processing (I was a slide user in my film days) so I mainly use JPGs. For the little PP I do - much the same as you - I use PS Elements.
I use A mode, multi metering, centre focussing and have 800 maximum ISO, The one piece of technique I recommend if you're not doing it is to always use the viewfinder as this greatly reduces the chance of camera shake. I can't see the screen anyway without wearing reading glasses but I can adjust the viewfinder to suit me.

Thanks everyone for the tips, the RX100 is a great camera for its size, its easy to put to pick up the pouch with it in and sling over a shoulder while out for a dog walk etc.
I will try keeping my iso lower and making more use of the VF I am also a glasses wearer but can see through it just fine.
I need to have a go in Manual mode rather than just AP mode
Also need to push the aperture a bit more above f5.6

Last edited:
On new year's day Skye and me had a stroll from Poolewe past Kernsary and on towards Carnmore but stopping up on the moors as daylight was limited. The morning was mostly drizzle with squally showers, later brightening to occasional sunshine.

Skye on the path with Spidean nan Clach and Beinn Airigh Charr

Beinn a' Chaisgein Mor, Sgurr a' Feart, Sgurr na Laocainn and Ruadh Stac Mor

Beinn Lair

Sgurr na Laocainn, Ruadh Stac Mor behind, and A' Mhaighdean

Another outing took us over the Loch Glascarnoch dam and a long the track on the far side. I took the big camera as I wanted to get some good photies of An Teallach, but snapped this one of Skye on the track with the wee RX.

rx 06057 20240108 c1

An explore above the Beinn Eighe NNR visitor centre on the path towards Ruadh Stac Beag was pretty showery so the RX came out again.

Skye on the path above the Beinn Eighe visitor centre

Rainbow over Beinn a' Mhuinidh

On new year's day Skye and me had a stroll from Poolewe past Kernsary and on towards Carnmore but stopping up on the moors as daylight was limited. The morning was mostly drizzle with squally showers, later brightening to occasional sunshine.

Skye on the path with Spidean nan Clach and Beinn Airigh Charr

Beinn a' Chaisgein Mor, Sgurr a' Feart, Sgurr na Laocainn and Ruadh Stac Mor

Beinn Lair

Sgurr na Laocainn, Ruadh Stac Mor behind, and A' Mhaighdean

Another outing took us over the Loch Glascarnoch dam and a long the track on the far side. I took the big camera as I wanted to get some good photies of An Teallach, but snapped this one of Skye on the track with the wee RX.

rx 06057 20240108 c1

An explore above the Beinn Eighe NNR visitor centre on the path towards Ruadh Stac Beag was pretty showery so the RX came out again.

Skye on the path above the Beinn Eighe visitor centre

Rainbow over Beinn a' Mhuinidh

Very nice set of landscape style captures Beth, liking them all with #7 being my fav'.

Back