Sony RX Series United Thread (Any RX Camera)

Anyone using a filter attachment on the rx100 mk vi or vii ?

Yes I am Alby, its one of those magnetic things that work very well although most of the time I only use it for attaching a lens hood and very occasionally an ND or Polarising filter.

Last edited:
Yes I am Alby, its one of these magnetic things that work very well although most of the time I only use it for attaching a lens hood and very occasionally an ND or Polarising filter.
Which one have you got George as l bought one supposedly for the mk vii but was clearly too big so getting refunded.

Which one have you got George as l bought one supposedly for the mk vii but was clearly too big so getting refunded.

I got mine from "Walmart" Alby back home in the USA, they do some of their own branded bits & pieces and its one of those. Its not specifically for the Sony M6, but it came with various sizes of magnetic adapters etc and I just use the one that's pretty much the correct size for my unit and then just use step up rings etc to be able to use a lens hood & filters.

Last edited:
I got mine from "Walmart" Alby back home in the USA, they do some of their own branded bits & pieces and its one of those. Its not specifically for the Sony M6, but it came with various sizes of magnetic adapters etc and I just use the one that's pretty much the correct size for my unit and then just use step up rings etc to be able to use a lens hood & filters.
Thanks George, I might try the JJC version and hope it fits as the magfilter was the wrong size for the mkvii.

Thanks George, I might try the JJC version and hope it fits as the magfilter was the wrong size for the mkvii.

I know that some of them do vignette a bit certainly at the 24mm setting but mine doesn't have the cut out opening like some of them have so there's no vignetting. I've never checked it at anything smaller than F5.6 as I always snap at around F4-F5.6 so it wouldn't bother me if it did vignette a bit at anything smaller. The only time I've noticed a bit of vignetting was when I've used it with an ND & Polariser plus the Hood which is pushing my luck a tad.

I know that some of them do vignette a bit certainly at the 24mm setting but mine doesn't have the cut out opening like some of them have so there's no vignetting. I've never checked it at anything smaller than F5.6 as I always snap at around F4-F5.6 so it wouldn't bother me if it did vignette a bit at anything smaller. The only time I've noticed a bit of vignetting was when I've used it with an ND & Polariser plus the Hood which is pushing my luck a tad.
I was going to use it to hold my raynox lenses on, I am holding them on by hand atm which isn't ideal.

I was going to use it to hold my raynox lenses on, I am holding them on by hand atm which isn't ideal.

I wish you hadn't said that, I've never tried my Raynox lenses on mine. I've also got the DCR 250 and the next higher magnification unit (can't remember what that is). I shall be having a play with them tomorrow and see just what I can come up with, I'm figuring it might be a little easier to mount them directly onto the filter adapter and not use the Raynox spring mount holder so I'm guessing I'll have to try and get a suitable step up or step down ring for that, If I can't then I should be able to make one without to much difficulty.

I wish you hadn't said that, I've never tried my Raynox lenses on mine. I've also got the DCR 250 and the next higher magnification unit (can't remember what that is). I shall be having a play with them tomorrow and see just what I can come up with, I'm figuring it might be a little easier to mount them directly onto the filter adapter and not use the Raynox spring mount holder so I'm guessing I'll have to try and get a suitable step up or step down ring for that, If I can't then I should be able to make one without to much difficulty.
I have the DCR 150, 250 and the MSN 505 but I have to hold them on the front which make it a little difficult tbh.

I have the DCR 150, 250 and the MSN 505 but I have to hold them on the front which make it a little difficult tbh.

I'm just checking mine with the 250 now and all seems to be working properly using it with the Raynox holder but there is some vignetting with the lens set to shorter focal lengths but is better without the holder which is what I thought would be the outcome. I'll be checking out if there's a suitable adapter ring available tomorrow, if not then I'll get cracking on trying to make one.

Alby, my other Raynox lens is the "MSN 202", for the life of me I couldn't remember what it was and on the lens itself it just has the usual Raynox blurb etc and 4Xs.

Alby, my other Raynox lens is the "MSN 202", for the life of me I couldn't remember what it was and on the lens itself it just has the usual Raynox blurb etc and 4Xs.
Just found the box and mine is the 202 not the 505 as l first thought, unlike the 150 and 250 it doesn’t say what it is on the lens itself just 4x Like you say. Dof is very thin with it.

Last edited:
Must admit, there's been a whole bunch more activity on this thread recently with some really "High Quality" pic's appearing, probably the highest amount of activity since I created the thread back in March 22.

It's inspired me to start using my RX100M6 again which I've hardly used since November 22 and seriously got me considering upgrading to the M7. I was going to do that a time or two back but shelved the idea when I started to use my iPhone for my street photography and just kinda got to like using it.

I'll sit on the idea of upgrading until early next week to gather all of my thoughts and get a few new pic's done using my M6 just to see if I still want to upgrade. If I do upgrade I guess I'll still use my iPhone for most of my street snapping and the M6 or possibly the new M7 together with my RX10M4 for other things.

Keep up the good work all you RX snappers its good to see all the activity.

Very nice set of out & about style captures Beth.

I spotted this old bus coming down Byres Road in Glasgow.
Memories of jumping off the moving bus resulting in cuts and bruises after misjudging the speed – OUCH!!
RX100vii

Glasgow Bus by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Very nice transport style capture Mike, of a lovely old bus.

"Looks like they're still using it, times must be hard" :)

A few from my recent holiday to Cyprus

Last edited:
Tiny bee taken with the Sony RX100 vii and Raynox dcr-250.

Tiny Bee by Ajophotog, on Flickr

"Excellent" macro/close up capture Alby, well composed with some fine detail.

"Did you manage to get the magnetic filter adapter etc sorted out?"

Last edited:
"Excellent" macro/close up capture Alby, well composed with some fine detail.

"Did you manage to get the magnetic filter adapter etc sorted out?"
Thanks George, I got the Lensmate system shipped over and it seems to work great.

Hi all, can anyone tell me what this icon means please (the rectangular box with a red area on the left which I've highlighted below). It only appears when the monitor is flicked up like for a selfie, but I can't find mention of this in the manual ?

"Room To Let" This Snap Has Made "Explore" :) :)

I'm really quite pleased with the way this snap turned out as its my first attempt at using my RX100M6 and transferring the file to my iPhone to do part of the PP using the Hipstamatic app which I use extensively with my iPhone. You can't actually use that app for taking snaps on anything other than an iPhone but you can import pic's from other cameras to PP the files.

RX100M6 and partly PPd using the Hipstamatic App
Room To Let-03774ip by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:sony:

I'm really quite pleased with the way this snap turned out as its my first attempt at using my RX100M6 and transferring the file to my iPhone to do part of the PP using the Hipstamatic app which I use extensively with my iPhone. You can't actually use that app for taking snaps on anything other than an iPhone but you can import pic's from other cameras to PP the files.

That works really well George, the software has brought out the textures well.

Lovely contrast on that. B&W is really addictive

Lovely contrast on that. B&W is really addictive

Thanks James.

"As I said the Hipstamatic App can only be used for taking pic's on an iPhone. This actual pic' was just run through one of the pre-sets I have created for my iPhone in that app and then transferred back to my iPad for finishing off In Affinity. That's it job done"

Last edited:
The tiny Sphaerophoria scripta on a wild flower taken with the RX100 vii + Raynox dcr-250

Last edited:
Back