Sony RX1 / RX1R

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
No
I'm tentatively interested in one of these. The size, fixed lens and obviously full frame appeal to me. I'd use it for general photography, including people. I'd be keen to hear any owners' experiences.

Thanks.

Had one, sold it pretty quickly... really tough not having an integrated viewfinder and unlike when it came out you can now get a considerably cheaper A7 which has the same sensor so it is of limited appeal really.

I see your point, but isn't the RX1 quite a bit smaller, plus once you factor in the 35 f2 lens, the price doesn't seem so far away. Except for the lack of viewfinder and perceived lack of value, how did you get on with it?

It is smaller, but the lens meant that you couldn't just slip it into a pocket like a true compact such as the RX100 so taking it out meant a strap or a bag just like any other mirrorless system (for me at least).

Images were great though, very sharp lens. I'm sure that there are plenty of sample images online for you to take a look at, but it's the same sensor as the A7, D600, etc. which is very good. Using it, I liked the aperture ring but the lack of viewfinder was a major pain point for me, visibility in any kind of bright light was quite poor. Ultimately I didn't need the small size and felt I could do more with my money so sold it :)

If you don't mind the slowish AF (especially in low light) and lack of built-in EVF then you won't get better images in a compact camera and would need to spend a good chunk more even on larger cameras to get on a par. There are some good deals to be had second hand and if you didn't get on with it then you wouldn't lose much.

I had one for about 2 years and loved it, one of my favourite ever cameras. I only sold it recently as I am getting a Leica Q instead, my reasons were:
  • Better AF, I miss quite a few shots of my 4 year old with the RX1
  • Built-in EVF, I used the external viewfinder but it made the RX1 awkward in terms of shape and balance.
  • Larger body with better controls, the RX1 is small so can be fiddly and the manual focus isn't great.
  • I fancy a change and it's the only way I will ever be able to afford a Leica

Worth knowing that the RX1 is more like 31-32mm rather than 35mm, I liked that (hence the 28mm Q lens works for me) but if you want a true 35mm then you might be better looking at the X100 series.

To throw in another curveball, have you looked at the Ricoh GR V (the APS-C version), that is truly compact and whilst not as sexy as the RX1 it can kick out great images for a bargain price second hand, it is 28mm like the Q so might not be any good to you but thought I would throw it in the mix!

Last edited:
I see your point, but isn't the RX1 quite a bit smaller, plus once you factor in the 35 f2 lens, the price doesn't seem so far away. Except for the lack of viewfinder and perceived lack of value, how did you get on with it?

I suppose you're aware of this comparison site?

http://camerasize.com/compact/#487.394,376,ha,f

I have an A7 and 35mm f2.8 and although it's by no means a shirt pocket camera it does fit in a small bag. The RX1 may well be smaller but I wonder if it too would end up in a small bag and if so maybe the additional bulk of an A7 wouldn't be too much of a disadvantage and of course has the advantages of a VF and the option of changing lenses.

I have an A7 and 35mm f2.8 and although it's by no means a shirt pocket camera it does fit in a small bag. The RX1 may well be smaller but I wonder if it too would end up in a small bag and if so maybe the additional bulk of an A7 wouldn't be too much of a disadvantage and of course has the advantages of a VF and the option of changing lenses.

:agree:

RX1 is my favourite camera/lens of all time. I do a lot of climbing and scrambling in the mountains and it's small size and robust construction means it is taken everywhere and has survived a lot of abuse. Shame it doesn't have a built in viewfinder but the removable EVF does work well and means it is small when removed. Used it with EVF for landscapes etc. AF isn't fast but perfectly adequate for most of my uses. As said, it's probably nearer to 30mm than 35mm. Battery life very short lived but the batteries are small and easily carried. Fantastic lens/sensor combination and files are extremely malleable in post processing. Now if they only made RXs with a 21mm lens and a short telephoto...

Thanks very much for the views, I may have a little look into the A7 route.

@woof woof how do you find the A7 AF and battery life?

Last edited:
The AF seems ok to me. I only use one AF point and never tracking or any other fancy mode so I'm not too demanding and therefore find AF perfectly ok. AF speed is fine for me and probably comparable to anything else I've owned except for the very fastest body and lens conmbinations. For example my GX7 and 17mm f1.8 combination is possible slightly faster. The A7 does however seem to me to be perfectly adequate for real world use and actual AF accuracy is very good as it is with other CSC's.

I have two batteries but I have never had to change what was a fully charged one whilst out and about. I normally turn the camera off if I'm not going to use it for a few minutes and I take the battery out when putting the camera away at night. I went to Thailand a few weeks ago and I managed perfectly well and didn't use my spare battery.

These cameras don't give the number of shots per charge that a DSLR would but one battery in use and one as a spare hasn't left me wanting yet.

RX1 is my favourite camera/lens of all time. I do a lot of climbing and scrambling in the mountains and it's small size and robust construction means it is taken everywhere and has survived a lot of abuse. Shame it doesn't have a built in viewfinder but the removable EVF does work well and means it is small when removed. Used it with EVF for landscapes etc. AF isn't fast but perfectly adequate for most of my uses. As said, it's probably nearer to 30mm than 35mm. Battery life very short lived but the batteries are small and easily carried. Fantastic lens/sensor combination and files are extremely malleable in post processing. Now if they only made RXs with a 21mm lens and a short telephoto...

like a sigma dp0 and dp3? :)

for op a dp2m (40mm equiv) or dp1 (28mm equiv) would be worth considering too

like a sigma dp0 and dp3? :)

Certainly worth thinking about but not sure if I'd want to have another system with different batteries, controls etc. Can anyone compare the output of the Sigma to the RX1?

I had a RX100M2 for a while and have to say that it produced excellent results. The RX100M3 also has an EVF. If it were me, I would seriously consider if the step and cost of going from an RX100M3 or RX100M4 to an RX1/R is worth the jump. I know that the sensor is different but the RX100 range still has a good-sized sensor, just not a full frame.

I have M43 system already which I believe has a larger sensor and comparable body size, and even if the full frame is a placebo effect on IQ, I prefer it.

Looking into the A7 route presently.

Back