Sony rx100 iii or wait a few weeks for the rx100 iv

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Im want to by my other half a decent point and shoot for our honeymoon in a month , we are on the cusp of the rx100 iv being released but is it really going to be worth £200 odd over the mk3 ? im not to sure... comments appreciated!

From what I recall there's only been minor changes with the RX100 models - if I was looking for one today I'd still go with the original RX100 as the newer models don't personally for me justify the extra couple of hundred pound price differences..

I had the original rx100 and my dad has recently purchased the mark iii. In terms of image quality and ISO performance, they're very similar, as is the software on the camera. If you're not fussed about having a viewfinder I'd definitely consider the mk1

Im want to by my other half a decent point and shoot for our honeymoon in a month , we are on the cusp of the rx100 iv being released but is it really going to be worth £200 odd over the mk3 ? im not to sure... comments appreciated!
What did you decide Thomas? I'm in a similar boat to you now...

Do you have any information on what the key 'improvements' to the iv will be. I used to have ii and loved it but had to get rid of it for various reasons.

@UaeExile I am also looking at the MK3 and potentially the MK4. How will this kit work with your Fuji and Nikon set-up? I primarily want the RX100 for capturing the day to day toddler activities such as walks and playing and capture video snippets rather than the big DSLR. Congratulations also for becoming a new dad!

@UaeExile I am also looking at the MK3 and potentially the MK4. How will this kit work with your Fuji and Nikon set-up? I primarily want the RX100 for capturing the day to day toddler activities such as walks and playing and capture video snippets rather than the big DSLR. Congratulations also for becoming a new dad!
Cheers @redlion

That's a good question!

Nikon - Paid jobs. Done a few, but will be doing more when I've got time after the summer holidays!
Fuji - Fun stuff, Street photography, Travel, Louis growing up (I'll probably keep the XT1 and X00T for life - selling the XE2).
RX3/RX4 - As a pocket camera when I don't want to take a camera bag. Also something the wife can use for pics of Louis.

So the Sony would be used in a very similar way to you by the sounds of it! Thrown in my wifes purse when we're out and might want to take some shots of Louis growing up.

Argh well. I pulled the trigger on the iii about an hour ago :D

@UaeExile you Sir do not hang about!

I've seen a few have got it for around £349 but not seen any myself. Will likely go for the MK3 as 1080p is fine along with picture quality.

@UaeExile you Sir do not hang about!

I've seen a few have got it for around £349 but not seen any myself. Will likely go for the MK3 as 1080p is fine along with picture quality.

Yeah we're off to Thailand in less than a week and wanted it for that.

To be honest, having looked at the IV it probably wasn't going to be worth it for me anyway. Like you, 1080p is more than enough for the video I'll be doing. The EVF is actually quite nice, so that upgrade isn't really necessary for me. The other upgrade with the DRAM chip makes not a jot of difference to me anyway.

It's probably the first camera in my life where I felt totally comfortable buying the "older" model to be honest. So far so good and MrsExile loves it :D

Last edited:
i too just bought the mk3.. did not get it at £349 but price was ok on digitalrev at £439.. could not wait anyl onger! from the look around the reviews, it seems the mk4 does indeed have a better processing chip... but its the 4k and slow motion video thats really the improvment, oh plus the eye viewer has more pixels than before - all of that for me wont warrant the £200 fee over the mk3...

i too just bought the mk3.. did not get it at £349 but price was ok on digitalrev at £439.. could not wait anyl onger! from the look around the reviews, it seems the mk4 does indeed have a better processing chip... but its the 4k and slow motion video thats really the improvment, oh plus the eye viewer has more pixels than before - all of that for me wont warrant the £200 fee over the mk3...

Yeah I was the same as you. None of the developments in the IV really appealed to me anyway.

Only fired off a few frames of Louis and I'm happy with the results. Should get a good testing in Thailand over the next few weeks.

Back