Sony RX100

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
With my impending visit to Wembley and not being able to take my dslr , I have resorted to digging out my old , very old compact.
It's too late to do anything about it now but Iam also considering leaving the dslr at home when whe go on our summer holidays.
Just looking at the Sony RX100 mk1 which can be had for £300 with £50 cash back . For £250 this looks like a really good little travel camera .
What are your thoughts on this camera folks?

Ive been thinking about one. But id get the mkiii as it comes with an Evf i think.
I have the rx100 Mk3 and one of the main reasons for going for this model was indeed the "pop up" EVF. That said, the EVF doesn't get used all the time but in bright sunlight, it's invaluable.

With my impending visit to Wembley and not being able to take my dslr , I have resorted to digging out my old , very old compact.
It's too late to do anything about it now but Iam also considering leaving the dslr at home when whe go on our summer holidays.
Just looking at the Sony RX100 mk1 which can be had for £300 with £50 cash back . For £250 this looks like a really good little travel camera .
What are your thoughts on this camera folks?

To the OP - although I can't comment on the mark 1, they both use the same size 1" sensors (I think the mk2/3 sensors were an upgrade to the mk1??). That said, I can't believe there is much difference in IQ. Re the mark 3 - the image quality is excellent and I think surpasses what you could reasonably expect from a camera with a 1" sensor.
I am a Canon user and one thing I would strongly reccommend is that if you haven't done so already, you go to a shop and pick up the RX100. It is a very small camera and you need to be sure that it'll be comfortable in your hands. For me, this is the only (slight) downside in an otherwise excellent bit of kit.
It replaced my DSLR on a recent trip to Europe and I was delighted with the results.
Hope this helps.

As said already, go and handle one first. I bought the mkiii purely for the EVF but found I rarely used it.
A friend recently sold me his 2 week old mk1 barely used, for the bargain price of £150 so I couldn't resist. He couldnt get on with its small size. I tried them side by side and could tell no difference in IQ, so i sold the mkiii.
I have just been on holiday and an EVF would have come in very useful in the bright sunshine but for the £250+ saving I can live without it.
I don't use the camera very often, mainly on days out when I dont want to take a bulky dslr or on holidays. Whenever I do use it though it always amazes me with the quality for such a small camera. Put it in a half case and it's much easier to handle but does add bulk.

I have the Mark 1 and it is a cracking little camera, fully versatile, it does pretty much everything I want a compact to do and it is supremely pocketable!
In my opinion it is much better value than the Mark V at just under a grand!

I've have the MKii and its been my prime camera for the past year. It is like a bar of soap so as suggested a halfcase or a skinwrap which I use, does help the grip.

The menu can be frustrating first off, but I find the Memory recall is a godend and have the 3 spaces set to the type of photography I like to shoot.

Even the iA produces pretty good pictures.

Back