Sony Software Rootkit problems

HJS

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Hope this is the right sub-forum to ask this question!

Two weeks ago I purchased a Sony DSLR and installed the software supplied with the camera (namely raw viewer, Sony picture utility etc.)

As I installed it my AV told me that their was a virus(rootkit) being loaded with the disc, in my naivety I assumed that Sony would not supply an infected disc and so overode the AV and continued with the installation.

Long story short hated the Sony, took it back and reverted to Nikon, anyhoo tried to remove the software, all fine until the Picture Utility.

When you try to remove it, goes immediately to the install wizard and attempts to re-install al the other Sony applications. It will not uninstall.:bang:

Thing is it tries to overide windows every time I upload from the camera which is getting very annoying.

Does anybody know how to get rid of it please.

Thanks in advance

HJS

Sorry to hear this, I have Sony software on my PC and have not had any issues with any form of virus. I deleted all the old V1.0 software I had from 2006 using add and remove programs and installed the latest V2.1 and V3.0 from the cd and there was no issue with the uninstall process at all.

Sorry to hear this, I have Sony software on my PC and have not had any issues with any form of virus. I deleted all the old V1.0 software I had from 2006 using add and remove programs and installed the latest V2.1 and V3.0 from the cd and there was no issue with the uninstall process at all.

Cheers JPS, it was the latest V3 that I installed, the rootkit warning makes sense as it will not let go, tis the same way some virus' keep coming back, once in the registry they store away nearly all the program someware unnassuming.

I think I will have to do a scan in safe and let the AV tear the bugger out.

i think sony have previous for rootkits, but that was somethign to do with the music division, not the camera division

I'm assuming you used the add/remove programes option. This gets rid of most bits and pieces, but sometimes things get left behind.

Check the start up folder to see if the Sony app has left anything there. Next look at the associations tab. It may be that the sony app changes the "open with" option to use that software. If it has then that may be why it's still trying to open your images

To find the associations tab, go to My Computer. Select "Tools" from the tab and then File Types. Look under jpeg and see what application it says. If it is sonys click change and then hunt for the app you want to use

Hope this helps

Back