Sony Vegas. What output format?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Following this thread....

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=390540

I have no re-shot the video and edited it using sony vegas. But I am falling at the final hurdle, I have no idea what format to render the video in.

I first tried using the sony mp4 format. This resulted in three files.

.avc
.avc.sfl
.avi.sfl

None of which are recognized by any software that I have on my computer.

So I tried again, this time using the windows media player format. This is recognised by windows media player, but wont play, I assume due to the size. It's 12 GB for a <2 minute clip!

So I could really do with some advice as to what settings I should use to render the video.

The video is going to be used in a presentation displayed on a projector. I am not sure yet if it will embedded within a power point presentation, or played separately, will that make a difference?

Also, aside from the various formats available, I am confused by the sub-settings available.
I am opting for 1920x1080, which is the same aspect ratio as the original clips. But there are 50i's and 60i's and p's and what not else available. Looking at it, it seems to relate to the frame rate.
I am under the belief that 29.97 is the standard in the UK? Does that really matter for what I am doing, or is that only important for burning dvd's?

For what it's worth, the current frame rate of the project is not 29.97.

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Hi Dave,

The UK standard is 25fps, unless you're inputting 29.97.

There are a number of settings you can use to render out your project but, it would depend on your input files and, whether there is a file size limit for the finished product.

If you could indicate which files you are putting into Vegas it would help a lot.

If you would rather have a chat, pm me you phone no.

For what it's worth, the current frame rate of the project is not 29.97.

Just noticed this, first thing is to match your project settings with your input files, I'm not sure if the basic Vegas can do this but, if you go into properties, to the right of the template selector at the top of the page, the button to the far right is a "match media settings" selector, choose one of your input files and, Vegas will choose the right settings.

If it doesn't have that button, you will have to do it manually but, it is critical to get these right before trying to render out.

Just googled it and Vegas movie studio does have this button, video link here

Last edited:
Thanks Pete.
I knew the standard frame rate was one or the other seems I got it the wrong way round.

The input files are straight from my canon 5d, so .mov files.

The file limit isn't strictly set. But it needs to be a fair compromise between quality for displaying at a large size, and not crippling whatever low spec machine that my uni provides to run it on.

While i'm at it. Is there a benefit to converting the clips before editing the video?
I was finding it quite painful to trim and align the various clips as the preview playback is quite jumpy. Not sure if that's just down to my computer not having the balls for video editing?

No real benefit from converting first, just another stage to go through.

Once you get you project setting right, you should notice a dramatic improvement in the workflow.

Off out soon but, will be back about 4.30 if you want to talk.

How is the finished video to be shared? For Flickr/Vimeo the output is best at 720 25p and this is a decent compromise between filesize and quality. I use the output setting "Sony AVC/MVC (*.mp4;*.m2ts;*.avc)" > "Internet 1280x720-25p" and this saves them as an mp4 file that works for media player, Flickr and Vimeo.

I'm still at the monkey-push-button, monkey-see-what-happen stage of using Vegas. But I have found that if you're changing the framerate (I'm capturing at 50i and wanting to output at 25p) there's some adjustments to the sampling rate that make for a much smoother finished result.

If your having issues with media player download VLC media player. It's played eyerything that I've ever rendered with Sony Vegas. It's free too.

The problem I have with that is I need to be able to play it on a machine I am not familiar with. I wont have the opportunity to install new software before giving my presentation.

Ah right. Are you outputting in 8bit or 32bit floating point for video? I'm not sure if media player plays 32 bit. I use Vegas pro and VLC so I'm not too clued up on windows media player or Vegas movie studio.

Pete kindly helped me out over the phone last night and cleared up a few issues I was having.

All is working now and I am much happier witht he result compared to my first attempt. I have put the video in the original thread HERE if anyone wants to see.

Thanks everyone.

Back