Sony walk about lens

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning im looking for a walk about lens for my A580 ive been using my 18-55 kit lens but am after something with more zoom to save some time keep changing lenses my current lenses are
Samyang 8mm fisheye
Kit 18/55
Minolta 28-80
Tamron 70 300
Sony 55-200

Lookin in the range of 18-200 dont really have a budget set but have seen a sigma 18-200 for about £140 in jessops but will the have any better iq than my kit lens?

I know im not going to get amazing IQ for that sort of money but quality wise ive not had to much problem with my kit lens

Any info will be greatly recived

First place to look is the Dyxum Lens Database

Great resource for relative strengths and weaknesses of lenses for the Sony system.

And the answer it gives for your kit lens vs the sigma is ...No.

Both have very similar (and mediocre) scores.

Although the scores are very subjective (IE they are just what owners of the lenses think their lenses are like) they do give a reasonable 'first impression'. generally, <4 is not great, >4.5 is pretty good.

Best options are the Sony 18-250, Tamron 18-250 or Tamron 18-270.

Nice one cheers really need to sort it out and start buying expencive glass but my iceland trip really killed my bank account

Hi Martyn

Not sure how it fits with the budget but I would really recommend the Sony 16-80.

It does not get the best write-ups on Dyxum mainly for its relatively poor build quality (for the price).

But, if like me, you look after your gear anyway build quality is fine. Optically I find it to be absolutely outstanding.

Could do A LOT worse.

Good luck with your search.

Gary

Hi Martyn

Not sure how it fits with the budget but I would really recommend the Sony 16-80.

It does not get the best write-ups on Dyxum mainly for its relatively poor build quality (for the price).

But, if like me, you look after your gear anyway build quality is fine. Optically I find it to be absolutely outstanding.

Could do A LOT worse.

Good luck with your search.

Gary

Hi thanks for you reply i will look at these i do really look after my stuff well

I don't think the kit 18-55 is that shabby. I day dream about 16-80 ownership in spite of build quality issues.

If you want a true lazy arse walkabout then the old sigma/tamron 28-300s are ok. Both have macro option. Can usually get them from anywhere between £80-150. Sigma is more expensive. Early tamron is like carrying a dustbin though. They retailed for about £200-£250 10 years ago or so so they're not too cheap and nasty.

Agree with gary on the CZ 16-80 - it's a lovely lens but it is more expensive than the superzooms, and doesn't have the reach to 200+ that they do.

Cheers guys ive actually come away from iceland with at least a few pictures im happy with taken with the 18-55 The rubbish pictures was user error rather than rubbish kit i just constantly found myself trying to quicky change lenses

Another vote for the CZ 16-80 for a crop sensor camera. Glad I didn't sell mine when I got the A900, as I'll be taking it with the A700 to Copenhagen next month - it's a social rather than photography trip so I don't want a lot of heavy kit with me (and the A900 and decent FF lenses are heavy).

the 16-105 isn't bad either.
Not quite as sharp as the 16-80 & aperture wise it's slightly behind but that extra 25mm of range can be useful.

Don't know your budget but David Kilpatrick is selling a tamron 18-250 for £200 on PhotoclubAlpha.

If you don't have that & you want the extra range above 55mm & don't mind swapping lenses the Tamron 55-200 (Sony 55-200 is based on it optically) has no right to be as good as it is for the little it costs.

Last edited:
Back