Sopa

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
This S.O.P.A business thats going on in america at the moment is getting on my nerves, for anyone who doesn't know, sopa is a bill they are trying to get in so they can censor the internet.
I find it an insult that the American Government are trying to do this, yet again its another attempt at global domination. America does not run the world, nor does it have the right to run the internet. I am from the United Kingdom and this affects us just as it affects everyone else in the world when we do not conform to the Laws of the United States.

Obama has been trying to gain control of the internet for a while now, They are trying to use the anti piracy debate as a reason to win the arguement even though its a lot more than that much more. Yet if you are seen to oppose SOPA they then try to make out that you are in favor of computer piracy & thievery with little or no comeback on your part even if you do not get involved with piracy. Its just a front, if they don't try using the piracy angle then then try the "protecting our national security" arguement too. But by supporting it, all your emails, all your facebook posts, all the videos and pictures you post online will be moderated and deleted if it doesn't suit their code, even if you are not an american citizen. Post something on facebook they dont agree with it gets deleted.

pretty soon the internet is going to look like this...

Welcome to the World Wide Web of America... Where we control what you say, what you post, what you think, what you can download, what you are allowed to see online & what we think you can write on facebook.

Not an american Citizen you say? Don't worry, we have control of your rights too, even if your countries rights are controlled differently to ours. If you are online you ARE on American soil.

To Hans in Germany we had to delete your facebook post about calling your mother a ****** **** of ***** suck ***** because it is hurtful to other peoples feelings.

To mr Chan In Burhma we could not allow your email to arrive to your intended sender as you claimed you are living in a poor state of affairs with war happening in your country and saying America should come and liberate you is not your right to say online. America decides who it goes to war with and your comments breach the World Wide Web of Americas policy of censorship.

Wouldn't work anyway as the whole purpose of the internet is to be able to cope with any type of loss. DNS could be rejigged in the rest of the world to ignore the US completely so they'd be cut off not the other way round!

There are plenty of transparent and anonymous proxy services so they'd easily get round any restrictions the numpty americans tried to impose.

I don't have Facebook so I'm not too worried.

but you use the internet, send/recieve emails, write on forums upload/download things, maybe view humor sites, so this will still affect you one way or another. many people seem to ignore this because its an american government thing, but if you connect to the internet it will affect you too.

Wouldn't work anyway as the whole purpose of the internet is to be able to cope with any type of loss. DNS could be rejigged in the rest of the world to ignore the US completely so they'd be cut off not the other way round!

There are plenty of transparent and anonymous proxy services so they'd easily get round any restrictions the numpty americans tried to impose.

you are stating a solution that could get around it, but it doesn't mean thats what will happen, the british government kiss americas ass anyway. anyone in the know will be able to bypass ip adresses and proxy servers, but it doesnt mean anything if america is shutting down websites and restricting what you can see and write online

Last edited:
Wikipedia, wimp, craigslist and Mozilla.org ....all closed today in protest.

I was effected by wiki not working today .... I still have a dictionary on my shelf though. :thinking:

At the moment it seems like the US governing system is becoming privatised, and I suppose just like a shopping mall, you must follow their rules...and see and buy only what the owners dictate. lol :puke: Im not really joking either.

Last edited:
The american government is a business, whoever has the biggest pot gets more control. I do however remember a country in the 40's who thought they could control the world, but that didn't work out well.

I do worry that the next world war will be about the internet not oil or controlling borders. True its still about power, but no guns will be fired or bombs dropped, it will be fought by hacker nerds in an office cubicle

It kinda echoes Chinas internet dictation to control its population. if they can't see what going on they're less likely to cause any trouble right!

Yes very much about the internet or more importantly the information available ... attempting control has already been tried ...The charade of charges against Julian Assange the founder of Wkileaks for example. ...With his legitimate site undergoing dozens of hack attacks per hour at one stage.
The mans a true hero in my book, all power to him. (and his team)

Unfortunately they/we will always be fighting over energy resources as that's what keeps us warm at night .. picture shivering child etc. :shrug:

Last edited:
Dave, you're being a bit melodramatic here.

However.

SOPA does not change the litigation that a website could face upon a copyright infringement claim, (there is already the digital copyright millenium act aka DCMA for that), rather it brings if forwards to an almost 'guilty until proven innocent' basis, rather than the existing system of due process where a claimant applies for damages and only after a court decision will action be taken against an infringing site.

What it does change is the action that a website must take upon receiving a claim from a copyright holder. What SOPA does is it forces the takedown of advertising and payment systems around the "section" of any alleged infringing material to be actioned within 5 days.

What this essentially means is that there's no due process before something has to have the ads and payment systems removed around it, based solely on a complaint from somebody who claims to be a copyright holder.

SOPA has been likened to a temporary restraining order - quick to get, deals instantly with the alleged problem, and then leaves it to the courts to sort everything out later. The real issues in this decision are a) if this level of urgency is needed for copyright infringement takedowns and b) if it will actually practically be enforceable for site owners to recover losses from these takedowns from incorrect or illegitimate claimants. Temporary restraining orders are there to stop potentially life or death situations - copyright infringement, it will just delay the damages that the infringed can claim!

There was a lot of scaremongering about SOPA, and very rightly so, but especially now that the DNS clause has been (provisionally) dropped (and the DNS clause was an utterly horrendous prospect from a freedom, commercial and security point of view), there is *slightly* less cause for concern - but it's still a very real threat to the internet, peddled, written and funded by some of the largest corporations in the US, and if it passes will likely have effects around the world.

If you're interested in the bill, it's actually surprisingly easy to read: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3261:

From eff.org a conected wiki link

For instance, an Internet service provider could block DNS requests for a website offering online video that competed with its cable television offerings, based upon “credible evidence” that the site was, in its own estimation, promoting its use for infringement....While the amendment requires that the action be taken in good faith, the blocked site now bears the burden of proving either its innocence or the bad faith of its accuser in order to be unblocked.

melodramatic doesn't seem such a bad reaction ...sounds pretty bad from here.

I think this gif says it all

sopa.gif

As most of the email spam in the world originates in the USA then this may be a good thing!!!

just saw this on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDX8Lyl16Qs

media scaremongery asside, this is a serious issue regardless of if you decide to ignore it or just assume its an american problem. If this bill gets passed and the US government back it to the fullest it will mean that if someone on this site posts a link from youtube they didn't make or upload a picture they didn't take then that is considered copyright piracy. Then there is a chance the poster and the forum who allowed the media be hosted could get sued by the US government. And people just thought the anti piracy thing was just people who download music and films from torrent sites

Last edited:
No i think you raise a very important point.

And especially as it seems this morning that the blackout DID work ... BBC news article and wikis take on it.

Apparently many smaller websites also took part, pondering that: I personally I wound't mind if the owners of this site consider taking part in such a blackout over here ..should, or rather when, it might happen again, or shadows of it, or any similar controlling move by corporations that could be countered with such actions.

:)

Last edited:
All you had to do to get past the Wikipedia blackout was disable CSS or use your own style sheet, or use an old browser without CSS support.

All you had to do to get past the Wikipedia blackout was disable CSS or use your own style sheet, or use an old browser without CSS support.

It had nothing to do with CSS ;)

They utilised JavaScript for the blackout, you would have needed to disabled JavaScript in order to view Wikipedia during the "blackout"

I've seen lots of bleeting about SOPA, but I haven't seen a single explanation of what exactly it will do, therefore I am yet to form an opinion on it.

I've seen lots of bleeting about SOPA, but I haven't seen a single explanation of what exactly it will do, therefore I am yet to form an opinion on it.

The Bill is available to read online, in fact Dave linked to it in this thread...

There are also thousands of posts around the web from various commentators, explaining and discussing what it means for the average internet user.

So we won the SOPA & PIPA protests. The bill was dropped and stamped on. American senators were completely stunned at the worldwide protest they hadn't seen anything like it before. The Motion Picture Association of America MPAA Got the right hump about it and stormed off muttering under their breath. So freedom of the internet has won this battle for now.

Information on who voted against it
http://www.sopastrike.com/numbers

The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/t...et.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=dodd arab spring&st=cse

Back