Sorry, bird ID please.....

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I can't find my book, seen around some upland rocks, to a certain extent it was soaring and just hanging around in the thermals, perhaps had a nest in the area, maybe in the rocks on the ground ?
6t9q2077ia0.jpg

It had a beautiful little voice aswell, very curious nature but fairly tame considering it wouldn't see many folk where I was ?

I think its part of the thrush family personally. It also looks like a juvenile ... gonna have a search brb.

Edit: Been searching a while and keep falling asleep, lol. I'm sure someone can tell you 100%.

Last edited:
Sorry bud, don`t know, but looking forward to finding out.....(y)

Looks like a young Skylark without the full plumage and crest
Will have a check

Nev

Because of the prominent small dark feather on the forward of the wing next to the chest this could be a Juvenile Woodlark but can't be positive without seeing the tail

Nev

It would help to know precisely where you saw this bird, if you have any other hints on its jizz and whether you have any full images of it Dsee ... :shrug:

:p

Not hugely I'm afraid ... :shrug: ... my first inclination was to go with a female Stonechat given the location you describe (not many birds would be giving it large at that height) but the singing bit doesn't make sense and, unless you have over-processed it the wings just look a bit too chestnut coloured really ... :cautious:

I can tell you what it definitely is not and that's an Accentor or a Lark but other than that I have to admit to being a little stumped ... :thinking:

Not hugely I'm afraid ... :shrug: ... my first inclination was to go with a female Stonechat given the location you describe (not many birds would be giving it large at that height) but the singing bit doesn't make sense and, unless you have over-processed it the wings just look a bit too chestnut coloured really ... :cautious:

I can tell you what it definitely is not and that's an Accentor or a Lark but other than that I have to admit to being a little stumped ... :thinking:

Shot in JPEG, auto levels applied in CS3, thats it, taken high above Tebay, it seems the bigger birds were easier to identify ( F-15 etc ) ;)

hmmm, lets look at the evidence [In best Lloyd Grossman voice], it was on rocky scrubby terrain, had a singing voice, looks like a juvenile from both the slightly downy look of feathers on chest/head and its beak still has that deep look of a young bird, bit bigger then a sparrow and as can be seen in the pic, a stumpy tail.....

Well be buggered if I know :bonk:

hmmm, lets look at the evidence [In best Lloyd Grossman voice], it was on rocky scrubby terrain, had a singing voice, looks like a juvenile from both the slightly downy look of feathers on chest/head and its beak still has that deep look of a young bird, bit bigger then a sparrow and as can be seen in the pic, a stumpy tail.....

Well be buggered if I know :bonk:

And it was friendly and inquisitive, I know from its looks it could be a juv but it was behaving more like an adult looking out for its young although in the 8 hours it was flitting around I saw no food being delivered.

There is a great group on Flickr that would probably be able to help. A guy names Dave Appleton in particular is very good with IDing birds of the world. Here's the direct link to the group http://www.flickr.com/groups/birdguide/. I'm really curious to know what it is myself now :LOL:

Its no good, you are going to have to go back and get some more pics, preferably over a few weeks too if it is a juvenile, never before have I known the TP birders to be stumped like this :eek:

I know, its shocking - thought this was the font of all bird knowledge, where is Bill Oddie when you need him, lol !

Size wise, between a Sparrow and Thrush I would say ?

I know, its shocking - thought this was the font of all bird knowledge, where is Bill Oddie when you need him, lol !

Size wise, between a Sparrow and Thrush I would say ?

**goes off to check when his car is due a service**

:LOL: He is a customer of ours, but seeing as modern cars dont need too many services, dont see him too often unfortunately :bonk:

I'm going with juvenile Dunnock too...

Juv-Robin.jpg

LOL ..careful! ;) I think there's a bit of a purple cast which isn't helping matters. Pity there isn't enough detail in that eye, as Dunnocks have a very distinctive eye - that would clinch it for me. Still.... interesting one. :D

The bold inquisitive behaviour is typical of Dunnocks too.

lol,tell me about it,im on my third pair of silicon implants due to previous wrongness occuring:LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
lol,tell me about it,im on my third pair of silicon implants due to previous wrongness occuring:LOL::LOL:

Don't you prefer the silicon to the ball bearings though. All that clinking when you sit on the bog. :D

I still don't think it's a Dunnock ... The one in the OP's pic has a stumpy tail, and the breast area is completely different too. Sorry CT :shrug: I was searching through thrush, chat and pipits of the world last night and the closest two I could find was a Richards pipit, but I couldn't find a pic of a younger juvenile to compare it against, and also a stone chat juvenile.

Did you give that Flickr group a try? :shrug:

Well we may never have a satisfactory answer to this one, and some birds do depart from normal patterns and colouring, making ID difficult. The colour balance is definitely out on that shot too - try desaturating it a little.

I'm sticking with Dunnock - the more I look at it the more I see the feather/colouring patterns developing in all the right places for the adult bird.

2467135591_1a3d6e72aa_o.jpg

this is the picture i have that made me think that it was a stonechat
stonechatbaby.jpg

Actually - that's pretty convincing - you may get to keep your left gonad. :D

Actually - that's pretty convincing - you may get to keep your left gonad. :D

My initial thoughts Cedric, especially given the location but something doesn't add up given the descriptions we have of a singing, soaring stunning little bird between sparrow and thrush sized ... :cautious: ... and even then if you look at it the OP has a dark chestnut wing set and a very dark covert set is evident and it has a reddish beak too ... :shrug:

If it was in my garden I'd nail it as a juvenile Robin and I'm pretty sure it is of this family ... :thinking: ... the nearest I came was Redstart but again the jizz and location just don't ring true ... :shrug:

Perhaps we are all trying too hard and the patently obvious is staring us in the face ... ;)

LOL. The plot thickens! :D

Juvenile Robin...

4336_19989011304628445847600.jpg

Back