Sorry but need help on camera..

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All

I am sure this question has been asked many times but I would like your advise on what camera, pleeease.....:D

I currently have a Canon Power Shot A70 and it has been a great little camera (very versatile for a cheepy).

I am now looking to step it up a bit and would like to know what you would recomend to buy. It does not have to be a small camera as the A70 is still going stronge and will still travel with me. I have a budget of around £500 but looking at all the reviews there is a lot to choose from in this range...

I am not even sure what make to go for, stick with Canon or move to Nikon or Pentax.

I have looked at so far: -
Nikon D40X
Canon EOS 400D
Pentax K110D

I don't know if I am making to big a jump and maybe should go for the Canon G9 but I am hoping to get longevity and also improve my pictures in the longterm.

Any advise you can give me will be great, to be completely honest my head now hurts from all the reviews.

Cheers

Phade

Howdy Phade :D welcome to the forums!

:canon: so would recommend the 400D, I have the 350D (which was the model before the 400D) and it is a cracking little camera :) But to be honest the difference between all three cameras is not much, all handle the same conditions pretty much the same way. They are all however build differently and have different feels to them. It is probably worth going into a decent camera shop and asking to hold each one. Have a play with them and see which feels best for you.

One thing to bear in mind is that Canon currently have a cashback offer on the 400D - you sent off the barcode etc and get £50 back :) which is enough for a few Compact Flash cards etc.

One last thing remeber you get more for your money online ;) places like Warehouse Express offer good prices and are reliable. But Jessops etc are always usefull for getting a feel of the cameras (or lenses) before you buy.

i have a 300d for sale with 2 lenses and everything you need to get started, only selling as i want the 30d. PM me if your intresed.

You might consider having a look at the Olympus E-410 or E-510 cameras. Both have live view, the 510 has IS in body, and both now have an excellent range of excellent glass to accompany them.

E-410 from £379 with £50 cashback from Olympus and the E-510 from around £550.

Whereas the G9 is a great camera, you touched on it's problem you'll want more in a few years time and I think you are right looking at DSLRs.

JL is right by saying that there isn't much of a difference between the cameras you listed, the same is true for the Olympus MM suggested.

In addition to getting a feel of the camera what I would encourage you to do is to think of this decision as buying in to a Camera System rather than buying a camera. Spend a bit of time researching each of the systems has to offer and what the costs are of various things you might want in the future. A camera that seems great now might not seem quite so great in 4 years when you want to upgrade and can't.

I would also suggest that you might like to consider what is available S/H at the same price, there are alot of new cameras arriving to market at the moment and therefore people are looking to sell their old cameras inorder to upgrade. You may find you can get a much better camera for the same money.

Wow thanks for all your great feedback but it is as I feared, there is no definative answer! Doh! The headache continues.

It seams that compared to buying the camera equipment taking the pictures will be easy part!

Right first I will go and caress a few of the cameras as you have suggest to see if I can create a loving bond (Hope the misses doesn't get jealous), then I will check out the options that are available for each camera.

This might sound a bit sad but I would prefer to buy new even if I am not as much for my money. The is somethig about knowing that it's yours and always has been, is that just me........?

Thanks again, hopefully I might have brought one this year if all testing go's well. Then I can let you all C&C some of my pics.

Cheers Phade

Chose the one that fits you. Go down to Jessops or whatever and have a play with all 3 for an hour.

Then factor in that Nikon and Canon have a huge range of lenses and wotsits. Pentax probably do but I'm no expert there.

This might sound a bit sad but I would prefer to buy new even if I am not as much for my money. The is somethig about knowing that it's yours and always has been, is that just me........?

hehe no its not just you. I dont know why really but I always buy new even if it is much more expensive :( I think its just that piece of mind that you know how its been treated and that there shouldnt be any hidden problems.

Hi PHade

Just remember that each system has its benefits and pitfalls... you just need to do as suggested and see what manufacturer offers you as close to what you are after now AND in the future.

Compare camera features, functions, lens availability and also price. Think about what you might want to be doing straight away with your DSLR, and what you might want to do in the future - though personally, I feel all manufacturers accommodate this and though Canon and Nikon have a much larger range of lenses available, Olympus have all that you need too with new lenses being released all the time.

Now... off you go and have a play...:)

Not at all - I can fully appreciate that, I myself bought a new Nikon D80 and for this same reason I don't think I would consider a S/H lens unless it was described by a reputable dealer as Mint (i.e. exactly like new).

The other thing to think about is do any of your Friends have DSLRs as if they have it might be a good move to go for the same system as you can always borrow their kit (after asking of course :LOL:).

Back