sorry, had another go

Name
Edit My Images
No

fly.jpg

still not happy, 200/f6.3, this is tougher than i thought

Last edited:
Butterflies are always ahrd in macro. The tricks to get the photo when they have the wings out wide so that they stay in focus. The only problem is that they rarely follow the script :crying:

Nice try.

Butterflies are always ahrd in macro. The tricks to get the photo when they have the wings out wide so that they stay in focus. The only problem is that they rarely follow the script

Nice try.

Yep, i think i took the exact same pictures last night of the exact same kind of butterfly:)

Also i've only recently started getting near the damn things, early morning seems to be a prerequisite. I've also found taking side profiles of them are a good idea, but then most butterflies are prettier with the wings open.

Absolutely love the colours in the 1st one, the eyes are in focus, now if only he was facing us it's be perfect :)

John,

I think you'd be better off using a smaller aperture....f/6.3 is going to be limiting for you in shots like these. Push it out to f/11 or higher and you'll get a little more usable DOF.
My other criticism is a more personal liking.....it works better for me if the OOF part is beyond the main focus point, ie, the fly's head in focus with the OOF body behind it rather than having the OOF foreground.

Bob

cheers both, little bugger kept moving, I asked him not to, but you know flies:thinking:

The first picture does it for me. The detail you've captured it amazing, along with the vivid colours. Great composition, nice job.

Back