Sorry, more woodies!

Barney12

I like Sailors
Edit My Images
Yes
I seem to be developing a woody fetish!

Light was incredibly harsh this afternoon so had a real problem with shadows on many of the shots.

I'd love some C&C as I really don't have a clue when it comes to togging birds!

I think the first is a little over sharpened? :thinking:

4484118793_5841d5680d.jpg

Bigger: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4484118793_5841d5680d_b.jpg

4484766796_83bc78ce38.jpg

Bigger: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2681/4484766796_83bc78ce38_b.jpg

4484763180_6627e27b42.jpg

Bigger: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2731/4484763180_6627e27b42_b.jpg

TTFN

Barney

As you already said, shot 1 is way oversharpened.
Shots 2 & 3 are very nice photos but you have to be careful of blown whites. If you shot raw then you may be able to pull them back.

Well for someone who does not have a clue, you're doing a pretty good job. There's a lot of poeple here who would like to get photo's of a woody like that.

I do have to agree with eccles comments.

I agree about the sharpening on number 1, but watch your halo's, 2 and 3 are a tad oversharpened as well. I like the pose on no 2, typical woody and you have the whole profile in shot. Overall nice shots (y), and yes, they are addictive :LOL:

As you already said, shot 1 is way oversharpened.
Shots 2 & 3 are very nice photos but you have to be careful of blown whites. If you shot raw then you may be able to pull them back.

Cheers for the feedback. Without wishing to appear a complete idiot...............................
"Blown" is a reference to any area of white that has no detail? I.e. Over exposed.

Barney

I agree about the sharpening on number 1, but watch your halo's, 2 and 3 are a tad oversharpened as well. I like the pose on no 2, typical woody and you have the whole profile in shot. Overall nice shots (y), and yes, they are addictive :LOL:

Thanks Trev, I still struggle to get truly sharp shots (I'm shooting RAW) and I'm not sure I really know what I'm doing when sharpening.

They were being right little sods today, constantly hiding behind the branch, choosing to lean round to get the fat from the hole. In fact I would swear the one in shot 1 knew I was trying to take his photo!!

Barney

Good effort Barney!

Agrred with the sharpness of 1 and the halos. I struggle sometimes with blown whites so I know how you feel lol, RAW does help alot though if you can shoot it.

Overall, 3 is my pick of the bunch, one I'd personally be well chuffed with!

Dan

Barney, echoing the comments re: oversharpening, which you're aware of already, but I do like number 2 most - good feather detail retained in the breast.. Lovely tree trunk.. looks quite exotic!

I never tire of Woodies :)

Nice, sharp shots (go easy on the pp sharpening, it seems you don't need to do too much with good shots already).

Dom

Barney, echoing the comments re: oversharpening, which you're aware of already, but I do like number 2 most - good feather detail retained in the breast.. Lovely tree trunk.. looks quite exotic!

I never tire of Woodies :)

Nice, sharp shots (go easy on the pp sharpening, it seems you don't need to do too much with good shots already).

Dom

I'm with Dom also...I never tire of seeing Woodies, one of my fav birds so if you see them, keep posting them please ;)

Dan

Thanks Guys, I'm determined to improve my bird togging and just love these birds so be prepared, you may have to put up with yet more shots. :)
Really lucky here as we live on the edge of (well 'in' really :)) a 240 acre wood. So much wildlife its amazing! Below is my secret woody weapon, my tree branch with holes in it loaded with fat (My patented mixture of lard, smooth peanut butter and meal worms!). Then its just a case of sitting on the bench and waiting for them to arrive. They are definitely getting used to me being around but still very timid.

4471202778_57bf52b084.jpg

TTFN

Barney

Back