Beginner Sorting RAW and JPEG files

Name
I
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm shooting in RAW+JEPG for obvious reasons but the thing thats annoying me is when i stick the memory card into my PC to sort through the photos the ones i dont want to keep i delete this only deletes the JEPG file and leaves the RAW behind. How does everyone else sort through. Is there a way of going through the photos and when you press delete is removes both files. Or.... how does everyone else process their photos surely there is a more simple way than how i am currently doing it!

Maybe let others know what software your using to sort/edit ?

If its lightroom, you can either stack the raw & jpg or have it treat them as seperate photographs.

My cameras have twin card slots and I shoot different file types to different cards, which makes it easy on import. I import them to different folders, captioned accordingly.

Ah see that's possibly where my first mistake is. I just plug the card in and then look through the pictures using the windows photo viewer or whatever it's called! I have elements 11 to actually do editing

Elements has a Browser which would allow you to review delete and rate images. There are some good Adobe Videos which cover this. I never make decisions myself based on looking at a thumbnail but only capture in Raw anyway. By reviewing in LR (Elements Browser is similar) I can decide what to delete as well as rating those I keep. There is no way I could process all those I keep so process them based on rating.

Dave

When I look through my photos in Windows Photo, the Nef file follows the jpg so I just press the delete key twice (having disabled the annoying window which pops up saying are you really sure). It is Elements Organizer which has the rating feature.

I import either using Adobe Lightroom or its a big shoot, Photo Mechanic (its faster). I import into sub folders based upon date which I then annotate with description and if I'm shooting different file sizes then LO/HI/RAW.

Ah see that's possibly where my first mistake is. I just plug the card in and then look through the pictures using the windows photo viewer or whatever it's called! I have elements 11 to actually do editing

Well, if you are viewing an image in some photo viewing software and delete it, you are actually deleting what you're looking at. It does not automatically delete any other files to the left or to the right, even if they have same filename but with a different file format. It only deletes what you see. For example...
  • Pictureofcat.JPG
  • Pictureofcat.TIFF
  • Pictureofcat.RAW
Assuming they're all the same image and use the same filename, but saved into different formats. If you delete say Pictureofcat.JPG, it won't delete the others (ie Pictureofcat.TIFF) just because they're same images with different formats. Thus Pictureofcat.RAW is not going to get deleted either. They're separate files, they're not linked together.

Most RAW files will have a smaller low-res JPEG file built-in or as a sidecar, but the JPEG is mainly used as thumbnail in the camera's LED screen or for Windows to show it as a thumbnail.

So if you shoot in "RAW + JPEG", you imply you set your camera to save the images as both a RAW and a JPEG. It does not imply a single "RAW with JPEG" image. It is actually two images, one is in RAW, the other is in JPEG. Your RAW files will still have its own small low-res JPEG images which will only be for display as thumbnails, but there will be a separate JPEG file on its own. It's more like...
  • Pictureofcat.JPG
  • Pictureofcat.RAW (with its own small built-in or sidecar low-res JPEG image used mostly as a thumbnail)
So when you view and delete a JPEG, you are deleting the JPEG itself. It have nothing to do with the RAW file. Depending on camera system, software system, and all that, if you select a RAW file, and can see a thumbnail, you are actually viewing the small JPEG image inside the RAW file, so if you delete the RAW file, it will also delete its own small JPEG thumbnail, but it won't delete the other separate JPEG file.

To delete the same image in the RAW format and the JPEG format, you would have to select both files in the files folder. That means you click on JPEG file, then hold down Ctrl and click on the RAW file, once both are selected, then you delete them.

I import either using Adobe Lightroom or its a big shoot, Photo Mechanic (its faster). I import into sub folders based upon date which I then annotate with description and if I'm shooting different file sizes then LO/HI/RAW.

I didn't know you could import them to separate folders in Lightroom, I've just been importing them together into the same folder and putting off removing all of the jpegs...

I didn't know you could import them to separate folders in Lightroom, I've just been importing them together into the same folder and putting off removing all of the jpegs...

@Craikeybaby Actually not really in the senses you think.

When you import your photos from the camera to the computer via Lightroom. You would be importing copies of the photos into the same Lightroom Catalog, but you can have your photos end up into sub-folders on your Windows itself. There are two options...

Either you transfer your images from your camera to your computer directly, move them into a sub-folder under whatever folder you use for your photos. Then go to Lightroom and import the images from the computer.

Or you transfer your images from your computer, via Lightroom, to the computer, although LR will import copies into your LR Catalog and it looks like a single folder, you can have LR set up to transfer your images to their destination which is where your images will end up, on your computer, but they can be told to go into sub-folders surely as if you were using Windows Explorer to set up sub-folders.

Here's how...

When the grid view is showing images from your camera and you select whatever images you want to move to your computer. On the right hand panel, click on Destination. Chose the drive and the folder you want your images to be saved to (on the hard drive).

If you already got a sub-folder set up on your hard drive you want to move your files to, then select it.

If you do not have a sub-folder set up, you can put a tick against Into Subfolder then type in a name for the sub-folder. Lightroom will set up a sub-folder for you on your Windows.

Lightroom will import your photos, which are really a preview copy of the images, into the Catalog, while it moves the actual files to where you want them on your hard drive.

Back