Non UK South Africa for 2weeks. Location suggestions please

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I am planning to go to South Africa for 2 weeks at the end of January.

I fly in to Cape Town and at this stage have visiting some nice landscapes and a private game reserve on my wish list.

Are there any "must see" or "must do" things that you would suggest?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Apologies, I meant to respond to your post and it slipped my mind. Are you planning to spend the fortnight in the Western Cape, or will you be travelling to other parts of the country? I know Cape Town, but I'm a lot more familiar with the areas further north and Kwa Zulu Natal, and this would give me a sense of what to suggest.

Hi Martyn. Yes, the plan is to stay in the Western Cape and have tentatively put the Garden Route on the itinerary as a guide to where to go. No real fixed places yet, so am open to any suggestions you may have.

On a completely different subject, I haven't got a clue what to wear haha. I'm particularly unsure about footwear for going out and about. Do you have any suggestions for what would be suitable?

Last edited:
OK, here goes:

Most of SA gets summer rainfall, but CT has a Mediterranean climate so it'll probably be warm/hot and dry when you visit. Summer temps are usually in the 20s but can easily get into the 30s, and it can be pretty windy at any time of year. Just dress for the weather, most of us are fairly casual. The same shoes you wear in the UK will be fine, I'd just bring a pair of "smart" shoes and takkies (sports shoes/trainers). You can get sandals here if you want them. Be careful in the sun if you're not used to it.

Landscape photography: Table Mountain, obviously. There are lots of views from various perspectives, and you can walk up - it's a stiff climb - or take the cable car to the top for more opportunities. Inland, the winelands have quite a "European" feel to them and are quite scenic. The Hex River Mountains are about 75 miles from CT and are impressive. Other than that, the coasts (Atlantic to the West and Indian Ocean to the South East) offer miles of beaches and seascapes. Try Boulders Beach in Simons Town if you're interested in photographing penguins and seals. It's reasonably accessible by public transport, and close to the Cape Point Nature Reserve. Unfortunately this is going to be the wrong time of year for whale watching, but you might see dolphins. Robben Island (Nelson Mandela was imprisoned there) might be worth a visit, and you should be able to get good photographs from the ferry too.

The Garden Route is lovely, and the N2 highway follows the coast most of the way. There are quite a few towns on the way, but I'd skip Plettenberg Bay. It's a popular holiday destination for wealthy people, but most of the resident population seem to be retired doctors and dentists who enjoy golf! The Bloukrans Bridge over the Storms River at Tsitsikamma is the highest single span bridge in the world, and the highest bungee jump. You can access the walkway under the bridge (there's a fee and it's supervised) and get awesome photographs down into the gorge, or drive along underneath and shoot upwards. Knysna is well worth visiting. The Heads (two headlands enclosing a lagoon) are photogenic and you can take a boat ride to them, disembark and walk/picnic in the Featherbed Nature Reserve, and catch the boat back to the harbour; or drive to the eastern Head, park and walk right out onto the headland for seascapes and big waves if you're lucky. The lagoons along the coast and the and the abandoned gold mine and town at Millwood above Knysna are good for photography too. Wilderness (small town) is a bit further along the coast and has a good beach, and the railway bridge over the Kaaiman River is a classic photographic opportunity. Unfortunately the line is closed now, because of subsidence but you used to be able to get shots of the steam trains crossing it, which were spectacular.

The coast north of CT is mainly small towns, which are quite picturesque. Langebaan is beautiful but is getting a bit too developed for my taste. Further north is the Richtersveld Transfrontier Park (mountains, deserts and harsh, with a lonely Atlantic coast) which is excellent for photography but it's about a 500 mile drive. This is about as close as you'll get to experiencing the real Skeleton Coast which lies much further north in Namibia and Angola, and is unbelievable! Getting there involves a lot more travel though, it's expensive and you have to book with one of the registered tour companies because it's risky to do on your own.

I can't really give you any info about the private game reserves in the Western Cape because the ones I'm familiar with are all much further north and in KZN. I'd just do an internet search and look for recommendations, or ask around when you get to CT.

Just ask if there's anything in particular you want to know, and I'll try to help. Have a great trip.

Martyn.... A massive, massive thank you for your reply. I really appreciate the time you have taken to give such a comprehensive reply.

Reading the reply is making me look forward to the trip even more.

I'm now going to Google all the places you mention and get an idea of the possibilities.

Andy.... Thanks for the link to the safari forum. I like to sort of plan ahead with stuff like this, so it will be invaluable.

Thanks once again, guys

You're very welcome. I love SA - despite its problems - and it's always good to hear about people coming to visit. Something I should have asked though, are you going to hire a car or rely on public transport? There are a few things you probably need to know either way.

There are four of us and we intend to hire a car

That's by far the best choice. Cape Town has reasonable public transport, but it's not all that great if you want to travel any distance from the city. CT traffic can be a nightmare in the morning and late afternoon, so I'd take that into account and try to work around it. South African drivers also tend to have a rather cavalier attitude towards the law, compared with the UK, and there's a general sense that it's fine if you can get away with it. The other thing is "taxis". These are minibuses - often quite dilapidated - that are supposed to seat about 10 people and have anything up to 18 or more crammed into them. Taxi drivers make the rest of us look like paragons of good behaviour. They cause a lot of accidents and it's best to give them a wide berth, and assume that they'll do something idiotic. I'm not trying to worry you, but it's better to know in advance!

I am also off to South Africa shortly so this is an interesting thread.

I have also read that the botanical gardens in Cape Town are worth a visit, which might provide some good photo opportunities.

Could anyone who has been give some suggestions on lens options for a 70D?

I currently use an 18-135STM as a general walkabout lens and will be hiring a longer 100-400L or 70-300L for safari. Would something wider be worth it for Cape Town and Winelands etc? 10-22 perhaps?

Back