Southwark Bridge Night Time

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Just getting to grips with the 40D.

I've found it a lot better for night time shoots then the 400D due to the added ISO levels etc...

I used a 17-85mm IS lens for this.

Southwark%20Bridge.jpg

ISO 250
F-Stop f/10
Exp Time 10 Sec
Focal Length 22mm

C&C Welcome.

Andy

Just played about with it in Photoshop.

Southwark%20Bridge%20-%20CS3.jpg

All comments are welcome.

I like the colour of the first best... did you use a starburst filter or did you get the lights like that in photoshop, or did it just happen!!

I think No1 for me, but is it me or is everything leaning to the right?

i prefer the second one, but something is bugging me .. i think its the reflection in the water, it doesnt appear to map to anything above the water i see the little walkway to the pontoon thing there is a reflection below that which almost looks like it is the walkway but it doesnt look like it really is - was the photo taken frm behind glass by any chance and you have caught a reflection in it?
sorry none of this is a criticism of the photo which i think it brilliant, nicely exposed..

i am just being distracted by something which to my eye doesnt seem to belong there :)

I like the colour of the first with sharpness of the second. I do think the tower seems to lean a bit to the right though, maybe do a bit of perspective adjustment? I like it though(y)

yes the reflection doesn't fit the structure above it...I like the composition and the subject though. It could do with a slight rotation to the left I think. I am curious why you chose to use ISO250, I never go higher that ISO100 in long exposure and I also use the noise supression feature on my 30D. Granted it takes longer to process an image, but the difference in quality makes it worth it imo.

i prefer the second one, but something is bugging me .. i think its the reflection in the water, it doesnt appear to map to anything above the water i see the little walkway to the pontoon thing there is a reflection below that which almost looks like it is the walkway but it doesnt look like it really is - was the photo taken frm behind glass by any chance and you have caught a reflection in it?
sorry none of this is a criticism of the photo which i think it brilliant, nicely exposed..

i am just being distracted by something which to my eye doesnt seem to belong there :)

I'm not too sure how that reflection got there. I took it off Southwark Bridge, so there wasn't no glass etc..

Andy

First one for me (y) I like the colours.

Weird reflection in the water :shrug:

Lovely picture, I prefer the colours in the first one myself :) Tempted to try my own version when I'm in the big smoke tomorrow.

something is bugging me .. i think its the reflection in the water, it doesnt appear to map to anything above the water i see the little walkway to the pontoon thing there is a reflection below that which almost looks like it is the walkway but it doesnt look like it really is

The reflection does come from the walkway across the pontoon. It casts an elongated shadow like that because of the spotlights that are on the riverbank behind the walkway (I think!) :thinking:

Oh - lovely shot from Southwark Bridge ! :)
Very good indeed - only thing I would sort out is the 'lean' - maybe straighten it up a tad.
Apart from that - liking it ALOT ! :clap:

:agree:

Nice image, though i'd sort out the lean and do a bit of sharpening on it.

Quick skim through the thread, nice pic, do you find the 40D a big enough leap over the 400? I still have a 300D Cant fault it for anything just buffer/write times/focsing/iso.. okay well I'm starting to want an upgrade lol.

ISO 250, its what jumped out at me straight away - why?

Oh and f16+ starts to produce * starry lights :D

I've found it a lot better for night time shoots then the 400D due to the added ISO levels etc...
No disrespect, Andy, but that doesn't make any sense. You don't want/need high ISO levels for night-time shots.
I've got a whole gallery full of shots of London at night and they were all taken at ISO 100.

No disrespect, Andy, but that doesn't make any sense. You don't want/need high ISO levels for night-time shots.
I've got a whole gallery full of shots of London at night and they were all taken at ISO 100.

Hi Mate,

I should have worded it a bit better. My bad.

I found the extra ISO's useful for night time use, for when I am using it by hand.

If I had a tripod with me, which I still need to get I would have used the lower ISO.

Andy

Quick skim through the thread, nice pic, do you find the 40D a big enough leap over the 400? I still have a 300D Cant fault it for anything just buffer/write times/focsing/iso.. okay well I'm starting to want an upgrade lol.

ISO 250, its what jumped out at me straight away - why?

Oh and f16+ starts to produce * starry lights :D

In terms of ergonomics yes. It’s a lot better to hold.
Function wise yes extra functions.
Images wise it’s about the same as the 400d, may be a bit better.

Love the photo (no1 the best), I like it cos its quite sharp and colours are well captured.

I like the first one as well. I would straighten out the verticles though

Back