Southwold Pier

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Decided to go with my friend for a trip along the Suffolk coast to do some photography. Ended up in Southwold around sunset time and we both realized out mistake of being somewhere east facing meant no good sunset to capture. But came away with a few shots I have processed. Open to critique to help me improve my photos

Southwold pier2 by Ian Diplock, on Flickr

Southwold pier by Ian Diplock, on Flickr

Lobster nets by Ian Diplock, on Flickr

I like the first two but I noticed the sensor smut too, also on the first one there's what looks like a piece of light coloured litter which keeps drawing my eye.

Not sure about the third one, the focus point is very narrow and doesn't really say much? I'm all new to this though so that may be the whole point of the shot!

Last edited:
I think No2 is the best , though the lighting was not in your favour

The second one is also my favorit, although the horizon is tilting :) The colours look nice in this picture and I like the stones that frame the image from the left, nice balanced composition. On the other hand the same colours don't work very well in the first image, the dark structure on the right side dominates the frame. I think it would probably work better in B&W, the composition with the pier lines pointing towards the frame's centre looks already fine.

Funnily on Suturday the same weekend my girl-friend and I visited Southwold too, just before sunset I took this shot of the pier, which is a completely different perspective: https://www.flickr.com/photos/62263963@N07/30005369115

Do you have more images of your Suffolk tour online?

Very nice. The sea texture is lovely, the uprights are all crisply upright. The underside of the pier in #1 is a bit of a blocked lump. There is a nasty sensor smut too. They would convert very well to B&W I suspect, but then I suppose I would.

Thanks hadn't noticed the sensor smut, camera has currently gone to fixation for a repair, hopefully they'll clean the sensor while it's there.

I like the first two but I noticed the sensor smut too, also on the first one there's what looks like a piece of light coloured litter which keeps drawing my eye.

Not sure about the third one, the focus point is very narrow and doesn't really say much? I'm all new to this though so that may be the whole point of the shot!

Wasn't sure about the third myself either maybe a bit more distance from the subject would of been better.

I think No2 is the best , though the lighting was not in your favour

Think a bit too late in the day would of liked a bit more light on the underneath of the pier.

The second one is also my favorit, although the horizon is tilting :) The colours look nice in this picture and I like the stones that frame the image from the left, nice balanced composition. On the other hand the same colours don't work very well in the first image, the dark structure on the right side dominates the frame. I think it would probably work better in B&W, the composition with the pier lines pointing towards the frame's centre looks already fine.

Funnily on Suturday the same weekend my girl-friend and I visited Southwold too, just before sunset I took this shot of the pier, which is a completely different perspective: https://www.flickr.com/photos/62263963@N07/30005369115

Do you have more images of your Suffolk tour online?

This is all I took, some I have taken at another location were out of focus so wasn't impressed.

Number 2 is the one for me, with a classic view of the pier so you can instantly tell it's Southwold.

As others have mentioned, it needs straightening and I would also be tempted to play around with the crop a bit to loose the rocks on the left - they are sort of neither in the shot or out of the shot.

What is the reason you cropped away the stones on the left side? I personally liked those as kind of a natural frame and think the image lost a bit without the stones.

Last edited:
+1 above, lovely image that looked even better with the stones. I prefer the crop of the sky but liked it with the original foreground and width. Nice set of images Ian :)

What is the reason you cropped away the stones on the left side? I personally liked those as kind of a natural frame and think the image lost a bit without the stones.

Some suggested to try it without the stones and a little less sky. Looking back at both I prefer the stones on the left.

+1 above, lovely image that looked even better with the stones. I prefer the crop of the sky but liked it with the original foreground and width. Nice set of images Ian :)

Thanks, as above, looking back I prefer it with the stones on the left. They add something to the picture I feel. Still very much a beginner when it comes to photography.

Hi Ian

I might have processed more along these lines

View attachment 76451

Hi thanks, I really like that. I think that definitely shows with less sky it works so much better.

Some suggested to try it without the stones and a little less sky. Looking back at both I prefer the stones on the left.

Thanks, as above, looking back I prefer it with the stones on the left. They add something to the picture I feel. Still very much a beginner when it comes to photography.

Hi thanks, I really like that. I think that definitely shows with less sky it works so much better.
I didn't crop Ian

Back