Sparowhawks-male and female-3 images

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Well i have just had my first what i would describe as a birding red letter day. Went out at 5.40am for a 2hr drive to a site I knew about. First up were red squirrels followed by a lovely young female sparrow hawk, followed by a dark coloured buzzard followed by a jay, followed by a pale buzzard followed by a male sparrowhawk and all were with photographing distance.At one point i had the 2 buzzards eating a pheasant, a jay staring at me and the female sparrowhawk sitting about 15 feet away watching coal tits....Only downside was it was pouring of rain so high ISO and slow shutter speeds but my first few images look decent enough....What a day.......Image will follow shortly.

Last edited:
Hey Mark .....get a wriggle on the anticipation is killing me..

I will stick 1 up just now-its not had any sharpening or noise reduction as yet but i will do some proper edits shortly..

Femal3.jpg

Stunning shot Mark....looks great to me as it is without any PP work.

As Dave says...can't wait to see the rest if this is anything of a taster...

Steve

not normally much of a fan of the bird pics, but I love the second one.....

Roughly how close was it?

Cracking stuff Mark :clap::clap: I reckon you got enough to start your own bird forum :LOL:

This is the little male with a bit lower ISO--he is a cracking little bird. Both Sparowhawks look only a year or so old or am i wrong.

Its difficult to tell with the male but I suspect he is at least a couple of years old.
The female is a "fledgling"
ie she is still wearing baby attire.
The heart shaped patterns on the chest (very visible in #1)
give way to "bars" after
the 1st moult.

A cracking set of images, the male is my favourite (y)

. Cobra i was hoping you would add to the thread.I had thought that both male and female were first winter birds.I have steadily added to my flickr if anyone want to see a few more from that day.

No problem (y)
I'm not sure about the male TBH, he looks a Little too colourful for a "pre-moult" bird, but on the other hand it does look as though there are a few "hearts" on his chest. So I will just say, I'm not sure on him.

Edit I've just checked out your Flikr, and one of the other shots does make the musket look like a "first winter bird"

Love the Dobie shots BTW :)

fantastic shots of two fabulous birds..............lucky you,

very well done.............

Cheers everyone.Its a great place to visit as these sparowhawks have been there for many many months now and never let you down. The guy who built the hide has actually held a dead chaffinch etc through the hide window and both male and female sparowhawks have taken the bird clean out his hand--i saw this video yesterday and its hard to believe he still has all his fingers.

was goin to ask where abouts it is but just looked where n.lanarkshire is and its a wee bit far me thinks! :crying:

Back