Sparrow at Feeder

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Not an overly original title but I couldn't think of anything snappy. Playing with a 100-400 lens I hired from Lenses For Hire and set this up with my 5D2 on a tripod. Tethered to my PC and waited.
As usual it didn't take long for the fat sparrows to come and get their feed on.
The first few snaps of the shutter sent them flying but it didn't take long for them to come back and soon I was snapping away happily.

Converted to monochrome in Nik Software's Silver Efex.

Sparrows are greatly under-rated birds, they are very well marked and make a nice subject for photography.
I'm really not keen on the treatment, it has removed the birds colour (obviously!) and seems to have accentuated the OOF areas, e.g. the tail feathers.
If possible try to arrange some branches or something around the feeders to encourage the birds to settle on and make for a more interesting image :)

Sparrows are greatly under-rated birds, they are very well marked and make a nice subject for photography.
I'm really not keen on the treatment, it has removed the birds colour (obviously!) and seems to have accentuated the OOF areas, e.g. the tail feathers.
If possible try to arrange some branches or something around the feeders to encourage the birds to settle on and make for a more interesting image :)

Unfortunately the feeder is on my washing line in the middle of the garden. I've looked at a more natural set up previously but this was more just a tester with the 100-400 and my camera tethered.
Here are some other images from the shoot all in colour.

1. Colour version of the first shot.

56919cde52.jpg

2cr25u0.jpg

5691a80475.jpg

akaf6f.jpg

Last edited:
I have some feeders on my washing line due to the bloody squirrels damaging them on some of the smaller perches I have in the garden, their a bit of a Nuisance around my area.

Anyway, I have used some twine and used thin branches to make a more pleasing perch next to the feeders, maybe worth a go for you.? I also have perches close by.

Before:

Goldfinch. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

After:

Moulting Goldfinch by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have some feeders on my washing line due to the bloody squirrels damaging them on some of the smaller perches I have in the garden, their a bit of a Nuisance around my area.

Anyway, I have used some twine and used thin branches to make a more pleasing perch next to the feeders, maybe worth a go for you.? I also have perches close by.

Before:

Goldfinch. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

After:

Moulting Goldfinch by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

That is an amazing idea. Might have to raid the local garden centre for supplies. Thanks

That is an amazing idea. Might have to raid the local garden centre for supplies. Thanks

If you have thin branches in the garden use them, and if no twine, some small wire, the type you get to wrap plug wire when buying new, zip ties etc...........I have done my twigs approx 400mm long, so gives a bit of room for them to land on and you can usually slide them on the line for better composition.

With the Goldie in pic2 above, I'm shooting them upwards towards some wooded area so gives a more pleasing background. The first pic, the workshop is in the background.

Back