Sparrow Hawk(I think) and a Kestrel

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I heard a bit of a battle going on and managed to get these couple of snaps of what I think is a Sparrow Hawk. The Kestrel was trying to do a bit of hunting too but it was having a bit of trouble from other birds also. I think it was leading them away from its nest though.

We have a real problem with gangs in this area.:D

DSC_9871 by ibert1, on Flickr

DSC_9870 by ibert1, on Flickr

DSC_9880 by ibert1, on Flickr

DSC_9916 by ibert1, on Flickr

Taking a breather

DSC_9919 by ibert1, on Flickr

woow where were you must have your location to feed my obsession for these beautiful birds

Yep top one is a Spar (female sparrow hawk)
(there is of course an outside chance that its a Goshawk. With the wings like that,
but without anything to relatively size it too.......... but it does look quite big against the swallow)

But curiously in the second picture the bird directly behind the spar looks
to be wearing a Tx (radio transmitter) or thin flying jesses.
I can't work out quite what it is though

woow where were you must have your location to feed my obsession for these beautiful birds

Its just a stretch of canal that I walk my dog, between West martin and Barnoldswick.

It is a great place for Buzzards, Kestrels and now maybe a Sparrow hawk.

I didn't know that swallows were so aggressive/defensive. I took this a while back of a Kestrel there.

DSC_7243 by ibert1, on Flickr

But curiously in the second picture the bird directly behind the spar looks
to be wearing a Tx (radio transmitter) or thin flying jesses.
I can't work out quite what it is though

Isn't that just a tail feather? There seems to be another less distinct one above as well.

Isn't that just a tail feather? There seems to be another less distinct one above as well.

Yep got it now, its obvious (comparing with) from the last picture that,
its a swallow with its tail fanned (y)

Nice captures...definitely a Sparrowhawk; as others have said the size comparison with the Swallows is the best clue, as well as a Goshawk would be more barrel chested.

Nice captures...definitely a Sparrowhawk; as others have said the size comparison with the Swallows is the best clue, as well as a Goshawk would be more barrel chested.

It probably is a Spar,
but any bird will go barrel chested if its well fed
( you wanna see my Harris or longwings in the moult :LOL:)
But a fit gos looks just like an overgrown spar
(well the ones I have flown are anyway ;))

Back