Sparrow (I think!?)

Name
Jennie
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple I grabbed this morning
sparrow1.jpg

sparrow2.jpg

That's a very nice Dunnock Jennie, they are also called Hedge Sparrows by some people!

Excuse my ignorance please, but is a Dunnock, Hedge Sparrow, the same as an ordinary Sparrow? I thought this one looked a lot more brown instead of grey.
CameraCanon EOS 1100D
Focal Length300 mm
Shutter Speed1/400 sec.
Aperture7.1
ISO/Film1600

Hi Jennie

All the same sparra ;) Like we humans they vary in tone.

I think you need to take control of your camera settings. ISO 1600 on a bright sunny day seems excessive.

#1 looks a tad soft in focus, do you use auto focus, if so ensure you put the 'spot' on the birds eye. You have caught lovely colours.

#2 your subject, the bird, is over exposed but this side of the fence is well exposed so your camera was setting to that rather than the bird. The focus is again rather soft.

I'm not experienced enough to help with more detail

Jennie.....there ARE 3 Sparrows BUT only 2 are really Sparrows...

The Sparrows are....House Sparrow (passer domesticus) the noisey ones.
....tree Sparrow (passer montanus)
and the ......Hedge Accentor - Dunnock - Hedge Sparrow (prunnela modularis)
not a real Sparrow as it has a more slender beak for eating insects.

If its any help I usually shoot on Aperture Priority and very low iso and let the camera choose the speed ...also I find on my Olympus a touch of minus Ex comp helps.
I like to have the exposure setting on just the centre as well as it helps to isolate the reading to just the subject...don't know if you can do this on the Canon ,but it should be possible.

Other advice...keep practicing.

Keith (y)

Jennie.....there ARE 3 Sparrows BUT only 2 are really Sparrows...

The Sparrows are....House Sparrow (passer domesticus) the noisey ones.
....tree Sparrow (passer montanus)
and the ......Hedge Accentor - Dunnock - Hedge Sparrow (prunnela modularis)
not a real Sparrow as it has a more slender beak for eating insects.

If its any help I usually shoot on Aperture Priority and very low iso and let the camera choose the speed ...also I find on my Olympus a touch of minus Ex comp helps.
I like to have the exposure setting on just the centre as well as it helps to isolate the reading to just the subject...don't know if you can do this on the Canon ,but it should be possible.

Other advice...keep practicing.

Keith (y)

I learn therefore I am :confused:

Jennie try auto settings on your camera i think you are confusing yourself with all the technical stuff and getting lost with it,set the exposer setting on sunny the rest should sort itself out,all the best Nigel.

Back