Sparrowhawk and breakfast

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
An early morning visitor to my garden today was a Sparrowhawk. I noticed her after she had made the kill so I am unsure what she took, but I suspect it to be a collared dove. The feathers look too large to be one of my resident sparrows.
I apologise for the graphic nature of the pics but it is sadly a cruel part of nature that we have to accept along with the beauty of nature.

1)

Sparrow Hawk 5 - Accipiter nisus, female by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

2)

Sparrow Hawk 3 - Accipiter nisus, female by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

3)

Sparrow Hawk 4 - Accipiter nisus, female by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

4)

Sparrow Hawk 2 - Accipiter nisus, female by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

5)

Sparrow Hawk 1 - Accipiter nisus, female by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
C & C Welcome

Last edited:
Great stuff - well done.

PS - Is it really a she ??

fine looking beast she is, well caught trev.
Thanks a lot
Beautiful bird, great shots. Very well done :clap:
Cheers
Great stuff - well done.
Thank you
PS - Is it really a she ??
I believe it is, the male has a darker grey back than the female. The Juvenile has similar colouring to this but not exactly the same. I will stand corrected though if I have made a mistake. Thanks for the comment.
Absolutely beautiful shots.

Dai
Thanks
Why is this NSFW?
Some people are put off by the sight of blood and of a predator eating another bird. Because of this I decided to show a warning.
Great images, well done
Thanks a lot (y)

Some people are put off by the sight of blood and of a predator eating another bird. Because of this I decided to show a warning.

I've heard everything now.

great catch Trev for you and the bird
Thanks Kaz, Unfortunately I had to rush to get the camera and lens and set it up, and I had to shoot through a tinted double glazed window, that has reduced a lot of the quality, I was still pleased to get the shot though.
Excellent shot
Thanks very much for commenting

I've heard everything now.
:shrug: Takes all sorts. I wont get into an argument about it, but look back over some similar shots on TP and see how people have complained about not being warned, I stand by my decision to show a warning.

Well caught Trev (y) Other than #1 they all look sharp on the eye where it counts, have you done a head count on your Chickens? :puke:

Great shots, and lucky you having the visitor!

I understand the warning, and realised with the title that it didn't refer to other NSFW stuff like nudity...but short of having other warning acronyms and getting all jumbled up, it did the trick!

Lovely bird, great shots. Not cruel nature at all, just "Nature".
I took a photo the other day of my daughter eating a piece of a cow!

Excellent shots, particularly shooting through the double glazing! I got a few of a buzzard perched on the back of a garden chair behind the house last winter, and had to take them under the same conditions.

Nature isn't cruel. It's just what it is, and animals/birds doing what they're programmed to do, to stay alive. Cruelty is mainly a human trait.

right time at the right place(y)
nice one trev
all the best
mick:wave:

An early morning visitor to my garden today was a Sparrowhawk. I noticed her after she had made the kill so I am unsure what she took, but I suspect it to be a collared dove. The feathers look too large to be one of my resident sparrows.
I apologise for the graphic nature of the pics but it is sadly a cruel part of nature that we have to accept along with the beauty of nature.

1)

Sparrow Hawk 5 - Accipiter nisus, female by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

2)

Sparrow Hawk 3 - Accipiter nisus, female by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

3)

Sparrow Hawk 4 - Accipiter nisus, female by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

4)

Sparrow Hawk 2 - Accipiter nisus, female by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

5)

Sparrow Hawk 1 - Accipiter nisus, female by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
C & C Welcome

Wow(y) I would dearly love some info on what you did to get him so sharp. Still a newbie and eager to learn, I'm trying to get pics half as good as these so any help.... Lens, settings etc. Thanks in advance.
#3 does it for me.:clap:
Did you really shoot through the window? Your windows are cleaner than mine:LOL:

Nicely captured set Trev!

Lovely set (y)

Lovely captures, the final shot is my favourite. What beautiful eyes!

Well caught Trev (y) Other than #1 they all look sharp on the eye where it counts, have you done a head count on your Chickens? :puke:

Cracking set Trev well captured indeed.
Regards
Paul.

Great shots, and lucky you having the visitor!

I understand the warning, and realised with the title that it didn't refer to other NSFW stuff like nudity...but short of having other warning acronyms and getting all jumbled up, it did the trick!

Lovely bird, great shots. Not cruel nature at all, just "Nature".
I took a photo the other day of my daughter eating a piece of a cow!

Very nice pics, love nature shots

Excellent shots, particularly shooting through the double glazing! I got a few of a buzzard perched on the back of a garden chair behind the house last winter, and had to take them under the same conditions.

Nature isn't cruel. It's just what it is, and animals/birds doing what they're programmed to do, to stay alive. Cruelty is mainly a human trait.

right time at the right place(y)
nice one trev
all the best
mick:wave:

Well said.

These are some wonderful shots. Congrats :)

Great set. looks like she is posing for camera

Wow(y) I would dearly love some info on what you did to get him so sharp. Still a newbie and eager to learn, I'm trying to get pics half as good as these so any help.... Lens, settings etc. Thanks in advance.
#3 does it for me.:clap:
Did you really shoot through the window? Your windows are cleaner than mine:LOL:
:D PM sent
Superb set.

Pity about the head on #1, but other than that a great set.

Well done.

As above a very nice set of a fantastic bird.

Thanks everyone for your kind and encouraging comments, its realy appreciated, cheers (y)

Back