Speaker on a circuit board?

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I have a weather station, this one Here.

I bought it in 2018 and 99% of the time it’s been right. the other day I had to unplug it, and take the battlers out. There is a single beep coming from it every 20-30 seconds.
it’s not an alert, it’s not the alarm. I’ve put new batteries in it. Maybe a failing receive? I don’t know. I also don’t know anything about circuit boards.
On my journey trying to find the problem it seem a common issue with some weather stations. One solution I read was to cut a wire leading to the speaker. Problem of the beeping solved.
I don’t have the manual, there is not product code or numbers on it.
So, I thought I would cut the wire a try. Problem is the only wire I see is the red antenna wire.
Can anyone point out the speaker on here for me please so I can disconnect it?

Goeasy on me. I haven’t a clue about these things. I know how to undo it and hopefully put it back together :D

The speaker is soldered directly to the circuit board, so there's no "wire" you can cut. You can however cut the PCB track indicated in red below with a sharp scalpel or similar - if you want to re-make the connection you'll need to scrape off the green solder resist from each side of your break and blob some solder over the gap. HTH! (And proceed at your own risk etc!!!)

( ETA: The speaker is the round thing to the left of EC3 & EC4 on your second picture).

IMG-1793.jpg

Last edited:
Agree with Jez - the speaker is the black cylinder with the + on the top. If you had a soldering iron you could unsolder it, but otherwise cutting the track is the way forward. Or you could fill the small round hole on the top with blutack & see if that stops the noise.

1699215581417.jpeg

The speaker is soldered directly to the circuit board, so there's no "wire" you can cut. You can however cut the PCB track indicated in red below with a sharp scalpel or similar - if you want to re-make the connection you'll need to scrape off the green solder resist from each side of your break and blob some solder over the gap. HTH! (And proceed at your own risk etc!!!)

( ETA: The speaker is the round thing to the left of EC3 & EC4 on your second picture).

View attachment 405903

Agree with Jez - the speaker is the black cylinder with the + on the top. If you had a soldering iron you could unsolder it, but otherwise cutting the track is the way forward. Or you could fill the small round hole on the top with blutack & see if that stops the noise.

View attachment 405910

Blutak is a good idea - should muffle the sound at least. Easier to undo as well!

Thank you. I knew someone on here would give the answer (y)

Thank you :cool:

I started to cut the track, and although I took a few millimetres off I didn’t know what or how strong to scratch, so, I unsoldered it :D. Even a novice like me could do that.

I put it back together, waited for sensor and time to connect, then set the alarm. Nothing. Just what I wanted. Cheers (y)

Back