Spec me a new toy!

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
I haven't used a film camera for many years now, but started off in photography with a Pentax ME Super.

What would you suggest i pick up (and where from?) for ~£50 that will be fun to use, and not have an LCD screen anywhere on it :D

I just want it for random photos, so nothing specific, and would like 1 fast lens.

Oh and looking at Leica M6s 'because they don't ever lose money(!)', is a bad idea isn't it?

Had I not been swayed by the Olympus OM10 for it's quality of lenses and no need to change my Oly embroidered straps (e620, too :LOL: ), I'd have gone for the ME Super when I was looking for my 'new' old 35mm gear.
The OM10 needs the optional the manual adapter IMHO, which makes it a lot uglier than the ME Super, which will probably always be still my favourite cute SLR.
The ME Super's shutter speed up-down buttons are not great for big fingers and even my delicate digits found them just useable.

Had I not been swayed by the Olympus OM10 for it's quality of lenses and no need to change my Oly embroidered straps (e620, too :LOL: ), I'd have gone for the ME Super when I was looking for my 'new' old 35mm gear.
The OM10 needs the optional the manual adapter IMHO, which makes it a lot uglier than the ME Super, which will probably always be still my favourite cute SLR.
The ME Super's shutter speed up-down buttons are not great for big fingers and even my delicate digits found them just useable.

Well I think (in a way) buttons are superior to old fashioned dials and sliders...once my Canon T70 or T90 are switched off they are dead, but once on my OM10 the slider under ASA dial moved (maybe when winding on) to NEAR "B" and I lost some great shots until I realised the shutter speed that should be on auto was being overridden by the setting towards "B" erm crap design and was re-designed in the OM20. Also on my Konica TC someone set the speed from flash sync at 1/125 to 1/250, but the dial could have moved while putting the camera backed into the carry bag (because of small children around).

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more about buttons, it was the major selling point for me when I bought my first ME Super (198x).
But they are damn small :)

Are there any Canon EF fit cameras that are of the small size, or are they all the large plastic designs?

Are there any Canon EF fit cameras that are of the small size, or are they all the large plastic designs?

EOS-30 is pretty much the same size as a EOS-450D, and is a belting camera, if you want a film camera that handles like a modern DSLR. Usually aroud £25-40 on fleabay.

EOS-30 with Flash Up by The Big Yin, on Flickr

It's got a LCD Screen though :shrug:

EOS-30 is pretty much the same size as a EOS-450D, and is a belting camera, if you want a film camera that handles like a modern DSLR. Usually aroud £25-40 on fleabay.

It's got a LCD Screen though :shrug:

My favourite charity shop has one sat on the shelf, I think it's marked up as £25 (body only)..

...if you want a film camera that handles like a modern DSLR.

Now this is where i become incredibly indecisive :D

I want something a little different to my DSLR otherwise i won't ever bother using it. If it was smaller, that would be a bonus, or if it was a rangefinder, then that might be interesting, or if it was mechanically interesting, iconic, or amazingly well made, that would be good to!

I want something a little different to my DSLR otherwise i won't ever bother using it. If it was smaller, that would be a bonus, or if it was a rangefinder, then that might be interesting, or if it was mechanically interesting, iconic, or amazingly well made, that would be good to!

Medium format.. the results from scanning the negative are comparable in quality to digital without going too expensive on a scanner, the big negatives are addictive, and it will be significantly different to your dslr experience. Film is available off-the-shelf (or online), and many places that develop film (e.g. Jessops) will be able to run 120 colour negative no bother.

A post-1945 folding 120 format.. reasonably compact (other will disagree, they always do..), mechanically interesting, and you can even go with British made iconic and have good quality.

I totally understand that. My point about a "modern handling" SLR is simple - there are times when I'm shooting "mixed mode" - say at a concert for example - the band have asked for some B&W film shots "as they look all grainey and cool, dude!", and I also want some colour shots. With either the EOS-3 and EOS 7D I can switch back and forth and hardly miss a beat, or have to think what camera I'm using. Same with the EOS-30 and the 450D, for that matter.

However, I do appreciate that part of the "fun" of shooting film is that the cameras handle differently, and feel different, and need differing processes to get things done. For that "different" way of working, I'll drag the FED-3 out, or the Voigtlander Perkeo 120 Folder (just to not disagree with Alastair ;))- or even the Pinhole HOLGA :eek: - you don't get much more different than that. No aperture commands, no focusing (because there's no lens) and shutter speeds measured by counting elephants. :LOL:

Last edited:
Next time i am at my parents place i'm going to find my old ME Super! Though i do remember it having issues, but it would be good to find it though. I expect it still has film in it!

I knew this would happen. Nostalgia+ebay+TP= an ME Super for me. I'm easily lead lol. Still, under £25 inc P+P isn't going to break the bank. Yet another set of lenses might, though! Not like I need another 35mm SLR but what the hell :)
Quite looking forward to holding one again :)

Last edited:
Back