Spec me a tripod

Edit My Images
No
Really need a new tripod. Currently have a cheapo £30 Star thing which was fine to start with but, now I have heavier gear, really isn't solid enough.

Looking at something around the £100 mark for both legs and head, although don't mind stretching up a bit to maybe £130 (or even more if really warranted) to get something decent.

I'm also a bit confused on the relative merits of the different head types. Ball heads seem to be the most expensive - are these generally the best option then?

Any advice appreciated :)

How about a Manfrotto 190PROB with a Manfrotto 222 joystick head? I know of one going cheap on the classifieds :D

I really like my Manfrotto 055xProB. Its well built and flexible with regards to the positions it can get into (legs and horizontal column). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmenklsAZX8

I bought the Manfrotto 322rc2 trigger-type Ball Head, This is very fast to position, but if I was buying again I would seriously consider a Manfrotto 410 Geared Head.

This will be over your budget however. From my experience having a tripod and head that does everything you need and maybe a little bit more will more likely be taken with you. My old cheapo tripod never left the house as it was just a waste of time and I didn't trust it with a £1.5K of kit perched on it!

Hmm, quite liking the 055XPROB actually - although with a decent head like the 496RC2 in the video I'm looking at around £170-ish. Don't mind spending that if it's worth it - thanks for the suggestion :)

Last edited:
The redsnappers are good for the money. I sold my Manfrotto 190XPROB as It wasnt stable enough. I bought the redsnapper 283 with the RHS12 ball head.

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RS_283_And_RHS_12_Ball_Heads.html

Its very sturdy and well made, plus the extra short center coloumn is a nice touch. although Im thinking of selling it to buy something that folds up smaller as its a pain carrying this around even with the cool bag you get.

Yeah I've seen mention of the Redsnappers before.

Ideally what I'd like to do is narrow it down to two or three possibilities based on design and price and then find somewhere that has them in stock so I can have a look at them in the flesh :)

I think I spent close on £200 for my setup...and at the time it seemed a lot of cash for what it was.

I have no regrets now, but then I do use it frequently. I can't say it would be as frequent if I had chosen one that more alike the cheaper tripod, lacking the flexibility or stability.

Got an ages old Manfrotto 055, very sturdy albeit slightly heavy, spare parts readily available so pretty future proof.

Ballheads are probably the best option although do need to have the friction control, set so the camera retains position, but can be adjusted with a degree of force. Daresay all the usual makes are decent enough, use a Cullmann Magnesit myself and very pleased with it

If you intend to carry it on a rucksack or use it a lot when travelling a lighter and unfortunately less stable tripod would be the answer, something possibly from the Velbon Ultra range

Last edited:
I have the manfrotto 055, Clicky and Manfrotto 496RC2 ball head with quick release plate Clicky , great for landscapes macro, studio work, especially good for macro as it goes flat to the floor and has an horizontal position for the central column, also its strong enough to hold my gimbal head and long lens for wildlife/bird photography

Only draw back is its a beast to carry about its heavy

The 055XPROB/496RC2 combo is definitely high on my list right now, despite the cost. Need to see if I can find one somewhere to judge the weight though.

Hi

Weight (g) 2400 = 5 lb and 4.65 oz so a bag of spuds (y) + the weight of the head just under a pound

But you wont be disappointed with them last a life time

Last edited:
Got a Manfrotto 055 with 2 pice center column for ground level work and a Manfrotto 115 head going cheap if you dont manage to get fixed up...
Great tripods not too heavy but very strong and versatile to use....
Also take a good look at the giottos range of tripods there well made and good value

Not familiar with the 2 piece centre column, is your tripod carbon or aluminium

Its aluminium ..the column it splits in 2 so you can lower it right down to a few inches of the ground for macro work...Its also reversible

Its aluminium ..the column it splits in 2 so you can lower it right down to a few inches of the ground for macro work...Its also reversible

Ah must be the mark1, not the new model with horizontal swivel position for the center column,and that can also be reversed

So if you go for 2nd hand be sure to check which version it it personally get new if you can afford it, you know want your getting and warranty

Last edited:
I have the red snapper & ball head, great value for money , really sturdy

Ah must be the mark1, not the new model with horizontal swivel position for the center column,and that can also be reversed

So if you go for 2nd hand be sure to check which version it it personally get new if you can afford it, you know want your getting and warranty

The problem is has they stated they want a tripod and head for up to £100 and the 055 leggs alone are well over that and then theres the price of a head £40 upwards...
I would look at the Giotto's myself ..there very well made and good value or go second hand...Theres been some good bargains on here over the last few weeks..

I've got the Redsnapper legs and a Manfrotto ball head, it's a good combination.

Looking at something around the £100 mark for both legs and head, although don't mind stretching up a bit to maybe £130 (or even more if really warranted) to get something decent.

The problem is has they stated they want a tripod and head for up to £100

Try reading it again I know that those I recommended come to £190, I expect he can get 2nd hand a fair git cheaper, personally I always buy new, and he wont be disappointed with them for all round tripod and head,

Last edited:
Yeah £100 was a total ballpark really - don't mind spending more if it's warranted but I'd say £200 would be an absolute upper limit!

Don't mind going second hand to save a bit of cash but not if it means compromising what I want :)

Is there somewhere that neatly summarises the difference between the 190XPROB and the 055XPROB - I'm finding it hard to work out tbh.

Basically the 055 max load is 7 kilo and the 190 is 5 kilo, and the 190 is a little shorter in length and is lighter by 1/2 kilo and it has less max height (30cm) than the 055

055 spec

Primary material- Aluminium
Weight - (g) 2400
In-built head type -None
Max load - (g) 7000
Min height - (cm)10
Max height -(cm)178.5
Leg sections - 3
Horizontal centre column -Yes
Closed length (cm) -65.5

190 specs

Primary material -Aluminium
Weight -(g)1800
In-built head type-None
Max load - (g)5000
Min height - (cm)8.5
Max height -(cm)146
Leg sections-3
Horizontal centre column- Yes
Closed length -(cm)57

Last edited:
Ah ok thanks. I think the 190 might be more than enough for my needs tbh - only slight question is whether it's tall enough but, once I've got a head and a camera on it, I don't think it'd be too much of an issue.

I would have thought the 190 would suit your needs, I only have the 055 so it can carry the weight of my gimbal head which is 2500gms in weight and then the weight of my 150-500 lens and my 7D, so I need the extra load capacity,

Just need to get an idea of the height of the 190 really - will see if I can find one in a shop tomorrow.

Is the 146cm specification from ground to the mounting plate with the legs fully "splayed"?

EDIT: Thanks for that Babs :)

Last edited:
Ah ok thanks. I think the 190 might be more than enough for my needs tbh - only slight question is whether it's tall enough but, once I've got a head and a camera on it, I don't think it'd be too much of an issue.

I'm 6'1" and I found the 190 (with head) more than OK for my needs. I certainly never thought the height was an issue.

I'm only selling it because of the other stuff I usually have to take when photographing (namely a baby and pram and associated crap really important stuff :D )

Thanks for all the advice people :)

I ended up popping into Jessops in Brum to have a play and decided the 190XPROB was just right for me - surprised how much heavier the 055 felt in comparison, I think the 190 is the best blend of weight/size/rigidity for me.

Ordered it online, along with a 496RC2 ball head. The head has arrived but still waiting for the legs - can't wait to have a play :)

Back