Spec me...

Edit My Images
Yes
Just a preliminary run, but i'm on the hunt for a new camera (when i'm trying to save up for a telecsope, but you know ;) ). Something smaller than my ST605n, which good as it is is somewhat a hassle to carry around, leading to painstakingly slow progress through a roll. I've developed an infatuation with this little beauty, but it seems to be extremely rare and focusing could be an issue (don't know what i'd do without my split-prism :love: ). Incidentally, does half frame count as a crop medium? So the 30mm lens would be equiv. to 60mm? So yeah - small, preferably fixed lens and cheap as possible, might be nice to try a rangefinder. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

*Note - i will discriminate based on appearance.

Technically perfect, and yet it looks like it's made of tacky black plastic. I did warn you i'd make this hard on myself ;)

The various Yashica rangefinders, for instance the Electro 35? They do often need a proper CLA though.

You've pretty much nailed it by saying "might be nice to try a rangefinder."

So you're pretty much down to budget.

Since you mentioned the Canon Demi - how about the japanese contingent...

Canonet QL17,19,25 or 28...
Yashica Electro 35 in some flavour or other...
Olympus 35RC / 35RD /35SP

Or a little more upmarket, there's the Voigtlander Bessa's / Leica's etc... more money, more flexability, lovely quality glass, more money...

difficult to get specific without a budget - after all - one person's cheap could be another's prohibitively expensive.

difficult to get specific without a budget - after all - one person's cheap could be another's prohibitively expensive.

Yup, I mentioned this in another thread, you could have a Leica afecionado saying they want an expensive camera, or someone who refuses to shoot anything other than 99p charity shop P&Ss saying they want a cheap camera. And then people trying to recommend everything and in-between to that person :bang:

The Olympus rangefinders that Mark mentioned have a good reputation, but I know the 35RC and probably the others need outlawed mercury cells - there are alternatives, just make sure you are aware of that. Same applies to a lot of other cameras from around the time, I believe the Yashica Electro I mentioned falls in the same boat.

I know I've had differences of opinion as to what constitutes a sensible price for kit on here, that's why I mentioned a proper budget, with numbers, rather than "Cheap..."

For example, I considered my Canoscan 8800F to be cheap at around £170, considering it was brand new, warrantied, and came with all the drivers and bits. Others prefer to buy things from car boot sales, each to their own :shrug:

Back