Special effect lens

Name
Ralph
Edit My Images
Yes
During the Olympics I have seen a number of video and stills which create the effect that real images are models i.e. people look like little plastic people. Is this a setting on a normal lens or a special effect lens?

I think I know what you mean - tilt shift.

A couple of good examples at the top of this page - http://shape-and-colour.com/category/photography/page/3/

It's usually done in post-production, where the original footage is 'normal' then edited to look miniature. Tilt shift lenses do exist for DSLR cameras, not sure if tilt shift broadcast lenses exist though!

During the Olympics I have seen a number of video and stills which create the effect that real images are models i.e. people look like little plastic people. Is this a setting on a normal lens or a special effect lens?

Tilt shift lenses create that effect. If you don't know what they are, they'll be too expensive for you.

You can also recreate that effect in post/photoshop as long as you're reasonably handy with it, and I'm sure websites exist for the job as well, though they obviously won't be as good as a decent photoshop job

That's the one. I can afford one, but I certainly cannot justify one! I love the effect though. Tickles me. Thanks for the quick answers guys.

Those all look done in post processing. Google whichever post processing software you have together with "minature effect".

You should be able to get the effect using a lensbaby - much cheaper than a 'proper' T&S lens but not the same quality.

Back