spec'ing a laptop for photographic travels

Centrino would be your best starting point, then its gonna depend on weight for screen size/format, storage 40Gb+, plenty of RAM to start with (saves upgrading (1Gb RAM recommended)).
DVD writer preferable for backing up your stuff (photos included).
Try to go with a brand like Dell or Sony, IBM (now Lenevo) tend to have a solid reputation for reliability (but you pay for it). You'll generally find better support if you get problems.

It will also come down to your budget.

One that's not too big?

What do you want to do with it - just view + store?

We talking new or used?

I take an old Dell latittude LS 500 with me. Fitted a 40G drive in it. Bit beaten up looking, screen only 800 x 600 but works fine and ideal for image storage and a quick preview. Can also put a couple of movies on the drive just in case of boredom attack. Other main advantage is it is not worth much and I don't worry too much leaving it in a hotel room.

RobertP said:
One that's not too big?

What do you want to do with it - just view + store?

We talking new or used?

I take an old Dell latittude LS 500 with me. Fitted a 40G drive in it. Bit beaten up looking, screen only 800 x 600 but works fine and ideal for image storage and a quick preview. Can also put a couple of movies on the drive just in case of boredom attack. Other main advantage is it is not worth much and I don't worry too much leaving it in a hotel room.

new!
view, store, edit, everything i do on my desktop, 15.4" screen will be good enough for what i want, and fit in my bag

must be wifi enabled and if possible incorporate a CF card reader

Centrino for WiFi is a good bet. Has it all built in so the integration is usually pretty reliable. I'm sure there's an AMD version available if you prefer that route.

All depends on your budget as Warspite says. Once we know that and also what you intend to use it for then we can start making suggestions.

Is weight important?
Is screensize important?
Is it going to be a desktop replacement?
Would you consider Apple OSX?

Wouldn't worry too much about the card reader slot - if it has a pcmcia slot a CF adaptor is only a fiver or less

evilowl said:
All depends on your budget as Warspite says. Once we know that and also what you intend to use it for then we can start making suggestions.

Is weight important?
Is screensize important?
Is it going to be a desktop replacement?
Would you consider Apple OSX?

weight isnt so important
15.4" is big enough for me, i always think these 17" ones look far too big for laptops
not strictly a desktop replacement, but to be used along side, i prefer the comfort of my desktop but id also enjoy the go anywhere ability of the laptop.
nope, i dispise apple and after buying an ipod wouldnt touch apple with a long stick :nunu: i know they are good, but definetly not for me.

budget wise , im not sure, but i recon i could go upto £1000 if needs be

cheers for you help guys, its much appreciated!

May be a silly query but that doesn't say anything about having PCMCIASIICIAIA slots?

SammyC said:
May be a silly query but that doesn't say anything about having PCMCIASIICIAIA slots?
It has one - see here for spec

Screen is only 1280x800 but otherwise seems OK. Remember £50 off voucher from PCWORLD/DIXONS etc.
Look also at Dell Inspiron 6400.

If you're going to be carting it round all day then surely weight must play a bit of a deciding factor. My Vaio S2XP is really good in that respect - it weighs 1.7Kg but then I have sacrificed on screen size with a 13" widescreen. I wouldn't want anything more than 2Kg on top of my camera gear to be carrying about to be honest.

If you're open to the dark side, the 12" powerbook makes a superb travel companion.

Or as said above, I still think sony make the best screens.

Why not go to a PCworld and pick up (as in hold in your hand) a few different laptops?
When you feel the weight of some models the idea of travelling with it may not be so appealing.
The sort of money you are considering gets you into gamers type machines - fast graphics cards that you really don't need for much else short of 3d rendering. Do you need that spec? If your not a gamer then get something cheaper with a good processor and bung plenty of RAM in it.

Oh and something I read about PCworld (may even have been on here?).... If you really do want to buy there (and I don't think I would), let the sales dweeb talk you into an extended warranty but tell him that makes it too dear. get him to discount the laptop because you are buying the warranty.
warranty has a cooling off period so go back next day and cancell the warranty for a refund - but keep the laptop :)
Only what I read somewhere...some research may be in order if you are considering it.

you recon i dont need such a high spec for what i want? what would sir suggest then?

i dont want to get a laptop thats smaller than 15.4 inches, my eyesight is bad and i dont think it would be usable with a smaller screen, weight is something im gonna have to put up with

I think what he's saying is get a good physical machine but don't waste money on one with a wizzo gfx card in it cos you won't be using it.

whitewash said:
i dont want to get a laptop thats smaller than 15.4 inches, my eyesight is bad and i dont think it would be usable with a smaller screen, weight is something im gonna have to put up with

In that case get a 14" screen that runs 1024x768 natively.

If you have bad eyesight you don't want a native ultra-high widescreen 1580x1240 (or whatever similar resolution) as it will be too small for you. Dropping the resolution lower than that to 1024x768 or 800x600 whatever risks damaging the screen with long term use

whitewash said:
you recon i dont need such a high spec for what i want? what would sir suggest then?

wot evil said...

by and large, the larger the screen physically the larger the resolution. The larger the resolution the smaller default text and icons will appear.

sounds like you're gonna have to go to a store and actually look at them for yourself.

One final thought though, you can make default text and icons larger however it's not a system wide rule and some programmers will ignore system settings so the can maintain their "look and feel" for their application. Photoshop is one of these applications.

After much experimentation, when I upgrade all my kit, I'll be buying a small, powerful notebook with wi-fi, all the usual whistles and bells and a very good screen: something like this, plus a seperate Hard-drive, 250Gb-ish.

Sorry can't form a link - look on the Sony Website for the smallest notebook with the crystal black screen (just spent half an hour trawling through the most cr&ppy website ever - talk about complicated. If I didn't know it was the product I wanted already, this site would put me off buying).

After I take it out of the box, I'll delete all the branded Sony Vaio stuff and leave it running a basic Win XP-Pro platform with just the bare essentials of what I need - internet, Photoshop CS (though even Elements would be good enough for field work) and Word.

Arkady - link does not work. No product showing.

Do you mean one of these Arkady?

linky

I really like these but I find the keyboards too damn small. Gives me wrist ache if used for long periods. this is the newer version of mine and comes with a bigger keyboard - if thats any help to you.

I know little about what you need inside, but after you get that sorted and from travel experience I’d go for things like;

Robustness. (Carry case, waterproof, could hang of the strap) ;)
All plug in slots etc at the sides and rear not the front.
No fan ducts on the bottom. (Very important) sides & back only.
Voltage adjustable? Or other.
Battery life.

HTH

Don't Panasonic make a range of laptops that they claim are both waterproof and capable of taking serious abuse?

Steve said:
Don't Panasonic make a range of laptops that they claim are both waterproof and capable of taking serious abuse?

Yup - their called ToughBooks, usually start around £1500+ and much higher.

Usually the choice of site engineers and outdoor workers, dust proof, shock proof, and usually atleast splash resistant. Because they are built to take a beating though they are not always as light as other laptops.

the ibm ones have some kind of protection built into it. i friend works for them and was given a very nice one which he then sent flying by tripping over the power cord when it was on the table. all was fine, no data loss at all, and it was powered on! i think it works by lifting the head off the hdd. anyway, the short of it is that i was very impressed at its muppet-proofness. might be useful from travelling.

and like has been said before, RAM RAM and more RAM but fit it yourself after you by it if it doesnt come as standard as it is very very ewasy an manufacturers tend to charge you a smallfortune for the privalige.

Back