Speed light with HSS for Canon

Edit My Images
Yes
I am a Canon shooter & I am after a speed light for my 6D, I want TTL & HSS for run and gun stuff and to use off camera when required. I have had Yongnuo however I not convinced it was the system for me for long term so I have now been looking at Godox and the VN680ii (i think thats the one) seems to have good recycle times, good battery (just the one) supports HSS and the controller can control there other strobes as well, apart from them I can't find anything else that fits the bill that isn't silly money. TIA

Personally I would buy a Canon ,MPB has quite a few speedlights for not a lot of money

Personally I would buy the Godox, either the V860 or the cheaper AA powered 685.

No one else has a system that comes close in terms of usability.

None of the camera manufacturers even realise what they're missing out on, though at least Canon has a working off camera solution - Nikon's system is a joke and no one else has a clue.

Personally I would buy the Godox, either the V860 or the cheaper AA powered 685.

No one else has a system that comes close in terms of usability.

None of the camera manufacturers even realise what they're missing out on, though at least Canon has a working off camera solution - Nikon's system is a joke and no one else has a clue.

It's almost as if the camera makers have decided not to compete with flash, perhaps a bit like tripods and filters etc that they leave to third parties. They all produce decent speedlights (at a price) but completely ignore the bigger picture. They should really just open their systems and welcome third parties, but instead they force them to reverse engineer everything and then mess about and change things with new cameras seemingly just to make life difficult. Not very customer friendly, looking at you Mr Canon*, not smart business strategy, and it quickly gets worked around with a firmware upgrade anyway.

Godox seems to be sweeping all before it ATM, simply by responding to customer needs - no rocket science involved. Great products, excellent system, affordable prices.

*And why no AF-assist light on the master controller, or remote second-curtain sync, when every third party manufacturer has both...?

I didn’t realise that Yongnuo had a 600RT clone of the Canon until today when I was searching the web.

Yes, I have a few of those and they work well. Not quite Canon quality and not quite as powerful either (despite what the GNs say) but amazing value.

If you don't want to go further than speedlights, either the Canon RT system or Yongnuo (or some others) is a good route. But if you do - and it's a great way to expand your creative horizons - then Godox is a bit of a no-brainer ATM.

Personally is go with the V860IIC if budget allows, if not ill take the TT685C. And then the xpro trigger. There is really no reason to spend extra money for pretty much the same product just to have the Canon label on it.

Go for second hand Canon. More reliable than the others (by several years in my experience ). Also, the control interface of them tends to be better thought out.

Go Godox, you'll not only save money anything you invest into accessories (like the Xpro remote) will save you even more further down the road.

The Canon RT system is great at what it does also hooked up with the Yongnuo 600RT it all works great

FTFY

It doesn’t upscale to more powerful battery heads, studio heads etc.

Godox are highly recommended because it’s a fantastically scaleable system, more versatile than the Canon, with more features, and cheaper.

A lot of people don't want carry half a ton of equipment around with them all the time the canon RT system works great and is very quick and very easy to use and set up I Love the current rt system

You're missing the point, it's not much of a system outside a very specific area of usage.

Not missing the point at all ...
Indeed you are...
...some of the best wedding photographers in the UK use canon speedlights and have done for years... I have the canon system and love it so it gets my 2p worth

Of course they do, no one says you can’t make great pictures with the Canon RT system, that’d be dumb.

But some people use an actual complete system of lights, and if what you need is a complete system, Canon can’t provide it. No one says it’s for everyone, but it’s stupid to suggest that Canon does fine if someone needs other features.

Some people want 2nd curtain sync off camera (Canon don’t provide the option)
More power than a GN of 60 in a portable package (Canon don’t provide the option)
Speedlights that move us away from AA batteries (Canon don’t provide the option)
A simple bracket to fit decent modifiers to your lights (Canon don’t provide the option)
Portable and powerful TTL and HSS lights (Canon don’t provide the option)
Mains powered studio flash including high speed flash that’ll freeze motion (Canon don’t provide the option)

And all of the above controlled by a single protocol, from an on camera transmitter or cheap flashgun.

Again, nowt wrong with a Canon 600 ex rt and controller, but for similar money I can buy a speedlight and a 200Ws barebulb flash (that’s not much bigger than a speedlight) and a controller

Canon guns are good, no question, and so are Godox. Build quality I'd put on the same kind of level (a step above Yongnuo) though Canon 600RT is weather-resistant, a little bit more powerful in reality and runs harder/longer before overheating. You can get back Canon's missing AF assist light and remote second-curtain sync by using a Yongnuo RT master trigger.

If you're already invested in the Canon speedlight system, there are ways to expand beyond it, if not ideal. Favourite is probably to put Godox X1r receivers on each Canon gun, a bit clunky but converts them to the Godox system and then the world's your oyster. Phottix offers a similar option.

Then there's a version of the Orlit RoveLight that is Canon RT compatible as standard (import from the US, and not without some teething problems), and Phottix announced a Canon RT enabled version of their Indra 500 but I'm not sure it's available yet.

>SNIP
If you're already invested in the Canon speedlight system, there are ways to expand beyond it, if not ideal. Favourite is probably to put Godox X1r receivers on each Canon gun, a bit clunky but converts them to the Godox system and then the world's your oyster. Phottix offers a similar option.
SNIP<
A somewhat long, expensive and in the end bulky detour

A somewhat long, expensive and in the end bulky detour

It's not exactly expensive to put the Godox receivers on the Canon guns. A damn sight cheaper than buying replacement Godox guns.

It's not exactly expensive to put the Godox receivers on the Canon guns. A damn sight cheaper than buying replacement Godox guns.
Yes but the investment in Canon speedlites is expensive, the Godox receivers introduces extra bits and pieces in the bag and since the op asked about first buy the canon ex is a detour

Having faced a similar situation and tried a few workarounds, I opted to sell my Canon speedlites* and start again with fully-integrated radio on-board. If you're selling Canon 600RT guns, that should more than cover the cost.

*I still have three 580EX guns left in the For Sale section ;)

Nikon's system is a joke and no one else has a clue.

When Nikon finally announced their belated radio flash system, there was a collective "Yey!" from the entire Nikon community. Followed by a collective "Huh?" and then "Wtf?" when they realized how it worked. Nikon had the best *small* flash system in the world ten years ago (well, right up until Canon's new RT system that cost more than the GDP of small country) and I still use my SB900's on the optical data "AWL" system today if I don't need radio. Why on earth they didn't just replicate that but over radio is beyond me. At least they could have given us a receiver to use with legacy Nikon flashes. Even worse, the new transmitter does not go on the hotshoe, but plugs into the 10-pin camera control port that only new, high end bodies have (My D8xx bodies have the port, as did my D700 and D200 but they don't support the new radio transmitter even though it physically plugs in). You need to buy a D5, D850 or D500 to use the Nikon Radio flash system.

When Nikon finally announced their belated radio flash system, there was a collective "Yey!" from the entire Nikon community. Followed by a collective "Huh?" and then "Wtf?" when they realized how it worked. Nikon had the best *small* flash system in the world ten years ago (well, right up until Canon's new RT system that cost more than the GDP of small country) and I still use my SB900's on the optical data "AWL" system today if I don't need radio. Why on earth they didn't just replicate that but over radio is beyond me. At least they could have given us a receiver to use with legacy Nikon flashes. Even worse, the new transmitter does not go on the hotshoe, but plugs into the 10-pin camera control port that only new, high end bodies have (My D8xx bodies have the port, as did my D700 and D200 but they don't support the new radio transmitter even though it physically plugs in). You need to buy a D5, D850 or D500 to use the Nikon Radio flash system.

TBF Nikon's radio flash system works with all cameras post the D5 I think, including the D7500 where the little transmitter unit sticks out into the palm of your left hand. I Am Genius :eek: https://www.europe-nikon.com/import.../nikon_dslr_d7500_0004_D7500_SB5000_WRR10.png

I can only think Nikon hopes to sell more new cameras with this new system, but it's more likely to pee people off and drive them towards a cheaper/better third-party option. It's seriously half baked - v expensive, inconvenient (only works through in-camera menus), no AF assist light on transmitter, not backwards compatible, only works with SB-5000 gun...

Back