speedlights vs monolights for studio set up

Edit My Images
Yes
If I was going to invest in a four light studio set up Key/Fill/Hair Light and Background light could I use speedlights for this or do I need to get monolights?, will I get better results with the later or is it just a better workflow? no batteries to worry about! flashes failing! etc. Do the monolights have HSS if shooting outdoors for instance?

Most monolights don't have HSS for outdoor use, some do but the difference in cost may put you off.

Main question - from a workflow POV there's no question about it, mains powered studio flashes are streets ahead in every way - recycling time, power, modelling lamp, all of which are more than helpful.
From a results POV again, they win, simply because the vast majority of speedlights have a fixed, built in reflector. This severely limits the way that the light can spread inside a softbox, which means that you can't get even illumination in a softbox of medium or large size, also it produces very peculiar results with modifiers such as beauty dishes, snoot, silks, scrims and so on - but most umbrellas are pretty much OK

A step at a time.
Speedlights will work for a studio, but once you’ve added the cost of brackets and receivers, cheap moonlights are not an expensive option.

Monolights offer faster recycling times, and modelling lights. As a rule, if mains power is available, monolights make more sense.

For HSS outdoors though, you’ll need to add some sort of battery powered light. This can be either speedlights or a higher powered unit.

For a truly flexible set of lighting I’d recommend:

A speedlight with HSS and TTL.
2 monolights
An AD200 with a Bowen’s bracket
An AD360II or AD600 (dependant on budget and whether you want to shoot flash in midday sun)

All that from the Godox family (including Pixapro or Lencarta) would be flexible and easy to use. On camera speedlight for everyday use, monolights for when you have mains power, portable studio lighting on location, a max of 5 lights indoors and 3 outdoors. All working on one trigger system.

Last edited:
^^^ What they said :)

If I was going to invest in a four light studio set up Key/Fill/Hair Light and Background light could I use speedlights for this or do I need to get monolights?, will I get better results with the later or is it just a better workflow? no batteries to worry about! flashes failing! etc. Do the monolights have HSS if shooting outdoors for instance?

I haven't yet found the 'one light to rule them all'. I'm guessing the AD600 will come closest.
I don't rely on modelling lights but they're invaluable for multiple light setups - though ISTR that the modelling lights on the AD600 aren't much cop.

Otherwise @Phil V 's list would be a very good starting point. Speedlights are great for hair / accent lights in the studio.

An aside.. I think that if you start with 4 lights you'll find life very frustrating. Stick with just one or two for as long as you can bear it, and a similarly restrictive number of modifiers.

Back