Speedlite 580ex II Batteries

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
My speedlite seems to eat batteries and it's costing me a small fortune!
Are rechargables any good for Speedlites? Can anyone recommend a decent brand?
Thanks

I run mine on rechargeable energisers - no problems at all so long as you look toward high mwh (think mine are 2500 or thereabouts)

As far as the flash is concerned, a battery is a battery ;)

Go buy Duracell rechargeables - last 6 hrs/600 shots in my SB800s & recgarge in 1hr. On offer at Argos right now!!!

Yea, use rechargeables, 2100mAh min.

I have found uniross rechargeables to be the best, their current highest power is 2700mah.

Get a good charger to that can discharge them.

I've been using batteries from 7day shop - you can pick a set of 4 2500mah or 2800mah for £3! :D

Matt

Using non-rechargeable, extremely pollutant batteries for your Speedlite is 1) downright stupid from a cost point of view, and 2) a crime against the environment, society, and nature. I hope the use of non-rechargeable batteries will be outlawed asap, and fittingly punished when appropriate.

Using non-rechargeable, extremely pollutant batteries for your Speedlite is 1) downright stupid from a cost point of view, and 2) a crime against the environment, society, and nature. I hope the use of non-rechargeable batteries will be outlawed asap, and fittingly punished when appropriate.

I think the punishment should be to be forced to stick your tongue on the live end of a large number of batteries!! :D :bonk:

Matt

Avanti! il Ducci

Thanks for that. Did someone get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?

Thanks for all the constructive replies ;-)

Will get down Argos I think. Was just concerned as I know in the past (we're talking a good while ago) rechargables were not as good as regular batteries....

Yea, Weggie, I agree but they are a lot better now.
I tried rechargeables years ago in my 1N years ago and they were crap.

Weggy - I think the issue isn't that they're better or worse - I think you just need to make sure you get a set "high mha" capacity batteries more than anything else.

I've used 1800 mha batteries with my flash and I find they can't "keep up" and recharge as quickly and don't seem to last as long as higher capacity ones :)

Weggy - I think the issue isn't that they're better or worse - I think you just need to make sure you get a set "high mha" capacity batteries more than anything else.

I've used 1800 mha batteries with my flash and I find they can't "keep up" and recharge as quickly and don't seem to last as long as higher capacity ones :)

That's probably why I have bad memories of rechargables then... they were either low mha or high mha just simply didnt exist...

I use 7 dayshop 2700's in my 580 MKII and they last quite a long time, I always take a spare set with me just in case but have never had to use they.

Another vote for the 7dayshop own brand batteries. I use the 2800 mAh nickel metal hydride rechargable ones for my 580 EX mkII. 7dayshop do a charger called the 'V8 Super Charger'. I haven't had it long but it seems to do the job very well. It has the discharge facility which is a must if you want to preserve the life of your batteries.

For anything to do with digital cameras you 'need' rechargeable batteries. :D

Another vote for 7Dayshop for me as well. I use 2700mha in my Nikon SB800. I think the amount of flashes could be counted in 10s rather than 100s with normal batteries. :bonk:

Depends how often you use your 580EX.

Can only say I use mine occasionally with a diffuser for macro shots, so find Sanyo Eneloops excellent. They never seem to lose much charge between uses, although their capacity is relatively low at 2000 mAh.

They won't be the best if the gun is used regularly, day in day out, so I'd then recommend as high capacity as possible.

Cheers, Mark

Rechargeable batteries used to Lithium Cells, but the modern "Nickel Metal Hydride" units are far superior, giving much better mha, faster recharge times and lower costs.

I was recently informed by a pro that NMH batteries are the best thing for flash guns as they recycle quicker, although I'm not sure if that's true or not...

The most important thing about rechargables that is overlooked by most people is the recharger. A good set of rechargable batteries (whatever the rating) will quickly get crap if you use the fast chargers, especially the ones that take less then one hour to charge. The best chargers have both a fast and slow charge function, and also reconditioning. The ones that have seperate channels for each battery are great too. 7 Day shop have a nice one that does discharging and is a medium speed charger. I think I paied like £10 for it when it was on special.

If you are wearing out even the best AAs that regularly I would seriously look at getting a proper flash battery pack like a Quantum Turbo or SC. The AA batteries in the flashgun then only power the flash electronics not the flash circuity, recharge time is instant since the Quantum feeds the head directly. I change my AAs about once every 4 or 5 months now.

Mine eats batteries but I found it loved 2800mAH NIMH rechargeables. The lesser 2100's wouldn't last long in it for some reason ...

Thanks for all the responses. (y)

Got some Duracell Supreme 2650's earlier this week so will give them a go.

Back