Speedway - a little different

Edit My Images
No
I'm trying to photograph motorsport in ways that you wouldn't normally expect to see this sort of photography done. I hope I'm doing a good job.
Please comment on the following two images.
They are from Poole Pirates match last week against Belle Vue.
Do you think motorsport images look effective in B/W? Usually I'm not keen on it, but with these two I think it works.

SW22_0872bw.jpg

SW22_0889bw.jpg

Ooooh Yeeeeeeesssssss....!!!! These two both work for me neogfx, they are excellent. I only wish my home town had a speedway team to boast about!

(will leave you to guess the town where I live!)

second works really, really well, not sure about the first.

You're welcome - they are excellent images. You stated you were trying to approach speedway shots from a new perspective - well I firmly believe you have accomplished this - especially in the second shot. Such a simple, yet imaginative and extremely effective difference. I showed these shots to my Sister in law after explaining to her that you were trying to do something different - when she then saw then she was impressed and also thought they were excellent.

As for the speedway team... phah! I wish!

We did have a not too bad one when speedway was resurrected in my home town about 6 years ago, but since then it's gone downhill fast. We're only a Premier league team, but deserve to be there!!

Thankyou very much for the compliment. And the Premier League isn't that bad. I bet you still get some good racing.

I think they look great in B&W but either way I'm not too sure on the first image.

Great shots these number 2 being a smasher(y)

I must admit there are some aspect I miss from the premier league mainly seeing more teams and riders but would miss seeing Leigh Adams/Lee Richardson at full throttle each week.

Pat

Never been to a Premier League meet. Always been to see the Pirates, Elite League.
However I go back to uni at Plymouth in 2 weeks and they are in the Conference, so may be going to see quite a few of their matches. I need my fix of speedway whilst I'm away! :)

Some of the teams I saw a few years ago in the Premiere League were quite good, even Newport were then!! I am not sure now though as I haven't been over for several years. I remember watching Newport v's Reading at Reading - when Newport won! Excellent speedway I must say for Premiere league.

I have a mate who is one of the speedway staff at the Millenium Stadium when they have the UK Grand Prix - now that's an excellent evenings entertainment I can tell ya.

Being a Speedway Photographer myself, i think the second one looks great. ;)

I have to agree with the general consensus that the second one really captures the atmosphere for me and the B&W just adds to the feeling. The first pic I think would have been better with just the main subject, the rider in the background seems to look very disintersted.
Steve

I like them being someone who used to go to Speedway at Wimbledon.

Only thing I'd say is colour helps identify for example who the home and away team are as they use different coloured tops on their helmets.

Back