Spider Fail...

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
First spider I have seen in the garden this year - and an example that the ringflash is overkill on certain subjects. This small male was tucked in a corner of the garden amongst the rockery, and focus was via a bloody big torch!

The second one had me with the struggling from the angle too.

Paul.[/URL]

Great shots Paul, love No.2 :) I have the same problem of my ring flash (Halo HN100), sometimes it is too powerful, but most of the time they are not strong enough. If I use a normal flash with a bracket, it will be too heavy for me, what a struggle;)

I see more and more spiders in my garden in the last week, though they are only the small ones. If they come and about, which means there are more bugs coming, otherwise they will have no dinner:D feeling excited :banana:

Great shots Paul, love No.2 :) I have the same problem of my ring flash (Halo HN100), sometimes it is too powerful, but most of the time they are not strong enough. If I use a normal flash with a bracket, it will be too heavy for me, what a struggle;)

I see more and more spiders in my garden in the last week, though they are only the small ones. If they come and about, which means there are more bugs coming, otherwise they will have no dinner:D feeling excited :banana:

Thakns Icy - like you I can hardly wait.

Re: the 2 here, maybe I should have taken the face from #1 and pasted it into #2. Might make it look better, lol..

Paul.

Not up to your usual amazing spider shots as you say. The first one looks like it has white pupils because of the ring flash.

Not up to your usual amazing spider shots as you say. The first one looks like it has white pupils because of the ring flash.

Yeah - hence the title. Not much I could to change that - the only was was RF and reflective criiters don't help.

Paul.

This is where you need to diffuse it but that is a royal pita I have a solution for mine but it was a pain to make.

I am going to try the setup on Kurts blog see what that comes out like.

This is where you need to diffuse it but that is a royal pita I have a solution for mine but it was a pain to make.

I am going to try the setup on Kurts blog see what that comes out like.

Not easy is it? It's that 2 inches. Smallest 2 inches I've ever known... :)

Paul.

As you say Paul, not your best ever shots but still good.(y)

If I could be so bold as to suggest a way of diffusing your ring flash that I have found works really well. A couple of weeks ago I started on some intricate surgery photography for a client and the only practical way to light the subjects was with ring flash so here is what I did with quite a fair bit of success.

First I cut out two flat pieces of polystyrene from a throw away plate, the same shape and size as the two flash tubes and placed one piece over each of the tubes and secured them with a piece of white surgical tape. Next I cut two lengths of white foam packing material and once again attached one piece on top of the polystyrene and attached it in the same way.

Now the trick to this is Not To Use the foam packing material that comes with electrical appliances etc as it does not offer enough diffusion when used with a ring flash. It works very well when using a normal speedlight etc as the flash is further away and you can make up a secondary concave diffuser over the lens much like how Kurt does his.

The material to use is the packing material that shower screens come edged in, and because it comes already shaped to go round the edge of glass screens etc it is very easy to attach it to a ring flash. It is also thicker so only one layer is needed and because it is rounded so to speak it offers diffusion in all directions. I obtained some from my local B&Q store. I just went to the kitchen & bathroom section and asked if they had any to spare from their display units and they obliged with quite a bit without charge.:):)

Hope this helps as it has certainly worked very well for me.

George.

If I could be so bold as to suggest a way of diffusing your ring flash that I have found works really well. A couple of weeks ago I started on some intricate surgery photography for a client and the only practical way to light the subjects was with ring flash so here is what I did with quite a fair bit of success.

First I cut out two flat pieces of polystyrene from a throw away plate, the same shape and size as the two flash tubes and placed one piece over each of the tubes and secured them with a piece of white surgical tape. Next I cut two lengths of white foam packing material and once again attached one piece on top of the polystyrene and attached it in the same way.

Now the trick to this is Not To Use the foam packing material that comes with electrical appliances etc as it does not offer enough diffusion when used with a ring flash. It works very well when using a normal speedlight etc as the flash is further away and you can make up a secondary concave diffuser over the lens much like how Kurt does his.

The material to use is the packing material that shower screens come edged in, and because it comes already shaped to go round the edge of glass screens etc it is very easy to attach it to a ring flash. It is also thicker so only one layer is needed and because it is rounded so to speak it offers diffusion in all directions. I obtained some from my local B&Q store. I just went to the kitchen & bathroom section and asked if they had any to spare from their display units and they obliged with quite a bit without charge.:):)

George.

I must have a ride out to my B&Q then George - I do need something and this sounds ideal.

One day, someone will design a ring-flash unit that is just half an inch thick with built in diffusers like those that fold down from the head of conventional flash units....

Paul.

George.

Could you post a picture of this diffusion setup??? I would find it very handy indeed. :D

Just the lighting that has failed on these. Other than that they are pretty darn good! Great composition in both cases.

Just the lighting that has failed on these. Other than that they are pretty darn good! Great composition in both cases.

Agreed.

I need @G.K.Jnr.'s lighting perhaps. Bryn too.

Paul.

Could you post a picture of this diffusion setup??? I would find it very handy indeed. :D

I will indeed post some shots of all my setups Bryn, just as soon as I get back from the USA as all of my macro kit is in the UK.(y)

Not sure when I'll be back yet but I'm figuring it'll be next weekend ish. We've still got about a square mile of cotton to plant yet, which we should have done by Tuesday/ Wednesday. Then I need to spend a few more days here just to make sure there's no problems etc before I head on back.

George.

I will indeed post some shots of all my setups Bryn, just as soon as I get back from the USA as all of my macro kit is in the UK.(y)

Not sure when I'll be back yet but I'm figuring it'll be next weekend ish. We've still got about a square mile of cotton to plant yet, which we should have done by Tuesday/ Wednesday. Then I need to spend a few more days here just to make sure there's no problems etc before I head on back.

George.

That would be amazing and massively appreciated. in the mean time will head off to b&q for this packaging stuff. Is it U shaped?

That would be amazing and massively appreciated. in the mean time will head off to b&q for this packaging stuff. Is it U shaped?

It sure is as it's the stuff that protects the edges of glass shower screens and grips the glass on it's own. The material that I managed to get is about six mill' thick and of a fairly coarse construction which really does diffuse the light very well and being U shaped it diffuses the light in all directions.

I've tested it with FF and a 105mm macro and a set of tubes plus a Raynox 202 on board which equates to a working area width of 6mm (4mm using APS-C) or 6Xs life size and it lit the area perfectly using my cheapish Meike ring flash. I don't yet have the kit to try it any closer than that.:)

George.

Last edited:
I just pushed 3 bits across the front and tried - result below.

Now, my Marumi ringflash has clear plastic on the inside centre tunnel (know where I mean?) so I may try sticking black tape around that surface to reduce any flash coming out centrally.

This stuff isn't precisely placed or shaped as yet around the outside or the front of the flash - and I think it may have caused, due to it's imprecise position, a bit of white vignetting or it may even be the very edge of the white stuff in the way, which I assume would improve if I stick the stuff carefully into place.

1024o_villosa01.jpg

Paul.

I just pushed 3 bits across the front and tried - result below.

Now, my Marumi ringflash has clear plastic on the inside centre tunnel (know where I mean?) so I may try sticking black tape around that surface to reduce any flash coming out centrally.

This stuff isn't precisely placed or shaped as yet around the outside or the front of the flash - and I think it may have caused, due to it's imprecise position, a bit of white vignetting or it may even be the very edge of the white stuff in the way, which I assume would improve if I stick the stuff carefully into place.

1024o_villosa01.jpg

Paul.

Good results well a start anyway.... you might want to put foil on the outside edge stop light going out to the sides.

Did you manage to get some from B&Q? This would have saved me loads of hassle when I was trying to work out how to diffuse mine.

Trimming the stuff would be easy too.

That's very similar to the material that I managed to get Paul, I first cut a piece of polystyrene plate and attached that over the tubes just to kick off the diffusion. I also managed to shape the diffusion material into a curve the shape of the tubes by warming it in some warm water first. I then wrapped it around a tumbler while it was still warm and secured it with an elastic band and then put it in the fridge until all the warmth had gone and hey presto it stayed in a curve suitable for the shape of the flash tubes.

I'm getting the Red Eye back from the US on Sunday so I should arrive back in the UK early on Monday. I'll get some pics done of my setup just as soon as I can and get them posted.(y)

Hope this helps.

George.

Hmm. . I think we should send you the gear and you can do it, lmao! :)
Paul.

Happy to oblige Paul, perhaps you could also send me a short cut to improving my macro/close up photography technique.:D:D

'Cause I've gotta tell you, for me there has never been anything in photography that I have found more challenging than trying to get "Good" macro shots. But I'm hooked.

George.

Happy to oblige Paul, perhaps you could also send me a short cut to improving my macro/close up photography technique.:D:D

'Cause I've gotta tell you, for me there has never been anything in photography that I have found more challenging than trying to get "Good" macro shots. But I'm hooked.

George.

I will take you up on that George... will be down your way soon enough. :D

Back