Spider - My first macro shot.

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Made a visit to Currys earlier on and came away with a Tamron 90mm macro lens.

Had a quick play with it and managed to find a spider in the greenhouse. It's not as close as i could be with it, but i'm happy with the results for my first go.

Any pointers welcome! :D

Got nowt to say but... (y)

Nice and glad you like the tammy. Wouldnt be without mine.

Like the back lighting shining through spider. Looks like an orb weaver if your interested.

Bar focus what issues do you have with images what would you like to improve?

Are these all ambient lit? Would say you need to up the apeture I try shot all mine at least f11 yes that can mean uping the ISO.

Great first go David and look foward to seeing more and your take on the lens.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the feedback. F11 sounds like a good plan. I need to watch a few reviews on the lens. I know I watched Matt Grangers a while back but cant remember a deal about it tbh. Lol. Not really sure what else I'd like to improve... just general sharpness and focus I think. Both were lit ambiently, would you recommend a ring flash or some other lighting?

Cheers.

Wouldnt bother with reviews mate, wont tell you anything.

As for lighting I have numerous set ups depending on what trying to achieve.

If you have speedlight flash then I would start with that and get a bracket and small soft box to bring it to front of lens. If you dont have one then would recommend a ring flash and I absolutely love my yongnuo ex14 cheap as chips and works brilliant even in ttl mode.

But as I said I have dual speedlight setup also bracketed either side of camera with softbox.

Hope that helps. Also take a gander at macro set up thread. :)

Same as T. (Terri, Theresa, Tracie, Tammy, T???????????) I know 'nowt' & am here to learn but it's a great section 'The Macro' & some super scary 'Hide behind the Sofa' shots
smiley-scared004.gif

Same as T. (Terri, Theresa, Tracie, Tammy, T???????????) I know 'nowt' & am here to learn but it's a great section 'The Macro' & some super scary 'Hide behind the Sofa' shots
smiley-scared004.gif

John you need to look at flickr a bit more then you might find out what T stands for lol

John you need to look at flickr a bit more then you might find out what T stands for lol

I know her name (Tracie) but we hadn't been formally introduced so just seeing what her reply would be - in fact Les may have replied & jokingly/erroneously told me something totally different but no doubt rude. I was just playing silly bugga's - about time I grew up :p

I keep getting the same post appear twice :thinking:

Thanks everyone, really appreciated. :) No speedlight so i will have to invest next month...

Had a few more shots away this afternoon, It's going to be a very very steep learning curve and shaky hands is a right PITA!! :LOL:

It's incredibly sharp!!

And as an added bonus, i can't wait to use it for some portrait work!!

David my favourite shot on this thread --- is --- is --- is --- Lily (of course) she's still gorgeous & she's always so happy to pose :clap:

That's a great 1st go mate!

Coming from you mate that's a very welcomed reply. Many thanks! :)

David my favourite shot on this thread --- is --- is --- is --- Lily (of course) she's still gorgeous & she's always so happy to pose :clap:

Lol, thanks John. I can't wait to do more portraits with this lens, very impressed with the sharpness.

good shots i would be pleased with them for my first shots,can't make up my mind which macro lens to buy for my 450d

My tip is to steel yourself for the spend as they're not £50 on E.Bay :eek:

Well, i can see this becoming more of a portrait lens although it's nice to be able to get close to products (which i like playing about with!) without worrying about the camera not focusing. I think for me at least, macro will have to involve a tripod and cable release. Or a lens with VR/VC/OS. Eventually. ;)

Glad you had a result from your Currys trip. Looks like a great purchase

Well done a great start the second spider shot is excellent love the way the light shines through

Simon thanks for sharing your kit set up but is there a camera in there ------- oops -------- yes I see it :p

Nice pictures there fella! Very sharp indeed!

Did you get the OS version of this lens? If you did, how are liking the OS setup?

Cheers

EDIT: Just realised you got the Tamron... me thinking you got the sigma lmao, been one of those days i think :)

Last edited:
Wow, thanks everyone. No, unfortunately this is is the non stabilised lens but if I get on ok with Macro then I will pick up a second hand VC/VR/OS model in a month or two. It's super sharp and will more than likely get used for more portraiture type shots although I'm looking forward to giving it another go tomorrowweather permitting.

Having a lens that stops down to f64 is crazy. :LOL:

Thanks for the info on the flash and soft box, looks great and will be something I invest in next month I think. The d7000 can control flash off camera without triggers so it will be a worth while investment for my portrait work too.

Thanks again.

Wonderful spidey-shots! The lighting is fantastic, and they are looking really really sharp. Great stuff!

Back