SPIDER!

Edit My Images
Yes
SPIDER!

SPIDER! by hpeake666, on Flickr

Gutted about the focus, really feeling the limits of my lens, 18-55, wish I had a decent macro lens but alas my pennies do not stretch that far! :bang:

I agree, it is a spider. Think you could have shot from a more interesting angle.

I agree, it is a spider. Think you could have shot from a more interesting angle.

Not without sitting in the sink I couldn't

Wow , how helpful :thumbsdown:

Gothgirl, that's not too bad, the raynox dcr-250 is a cracking little "lens" for around £40, or cheaper still close-up filters.

Will have a look into that, does it autofocus with a D60?

Nice big house spider, he is your friend keeping all the nasty insects to a minimum in your home :D

A totally genuine question, is it dead as none of the legs nearest us are touching the sink are they? Or is it me imagining it?

A totally genuine question, is it dead as none of the legs nearest us are touching the sink are they? Or is it me imagining it?
Hey, you're right... :thinking:
I'm pretty sure it isn't dead. Dead spiders tend to all look like this.
It's in a sink, so it could be standing on the water surface. Even these big ones have no problems doing that.

Agreed, not helpful. But honest.
I appreciate gothgirls dilemma: to shoot as is or not to shoot at all.
On balance, a shot of a spider in the sink is never going to be stunning but it's a shot anyway. Better to have a spider pic than not but perhaps consider if it's critique you want for what most will see as a mundane shot?
Most definitely in the right direction, though :)
Gotta start somewhere and why not with what's available? Hopefully it's piqued your enthusiasm for macro and you'll soon turn out some astounding pics, building on experience and technique gained from basics :)

I also thought this. I don't think it's unhelpful at all!

Maybe a little more info would have helped but essentially you just have a record shot and you asked for a critique which may not alwayts be what you want.

As an image it's quite badly under exposed (check out the histogram) and although reasonably sharp the angle doesn't really work.

Compositionally the spider is just about bang in the centre - not good. Read up on the rule of thirds and that will help.

The dirt in the sink makes the image look too busy and it detracts the eye.

I don't mean in any way to be rude and I don't think anyone above has been but when you ask for a critique be prepared for an honest critique.

Hope the above is helpful.

Regards

No I appreciate the comments, they just don't need to be brash is all, haha.

I'm struggling with what I've got, I wish I could afford a macro lens but its just way out the budget, I would love to do some real macro shots, but my 18-55 just cant do it!

Gothgirl you could always try making yourself a reversing ring, which is what I did when I couldnt afford a dedicated macro lens. I can find an article on how to do this if your interested. Alternatively you can always hold the lens reversed manually.

Gothgirl you could always try making yourself a reversing ring, which is what I did when I couldnt afford a dedicated macro lens. I can find an article on how to do this if your interested. Alternatively you can always hold the lens reversed manually.

I'd appreciate that article :love:

Hi Gothgirl. I found a reverse ring on ebay yesterday for less than a fiver. Might be worth looking. Not sure how well they work yet, but at that price I had to grab one :D

Nice try and always good to practice.

Heard good things about the raynox dcr-250, clips to the lens you have. Seems to work better on the long mm lenses.

I took some pics (ok so i have a macro lens) of a spider and to make sure that it didn't run at me it was in a plastic bin.

House Spider 3 by KatiaUK, on Flickr

Spider in a bin by KatiaUK, on Flickr

You might want to consider some cheap tubes to experiment with... although this brings you closer to your subject...

Can definately recommend the 105micro nikkor. Other lenses would be the tamron 90mm or a sigma 150/180. Just make sure the ratio is 1:1 lifesize.

Good luck taking pics of these 'beasts' :)

Last edited:
Back