Spiders Bum and other bits - Arachnophobics keep out!

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
So I get the job of removing the winter shelving from the greenhouse though it only seems like last week I put them up. One thing guaranteed in a greenhouse is spiders and I noticed a big nearly black looking one sitting on the greenhouse heater. It wasn't very clever as when I had finished it was still there.

So it came to help me with my hobby...

aracno1.jpg

Having taken a normal shot or two I put the 50mm lens reversed on the front of the 150 macro for some extreme magnification.

Hairy crab like legs
aracno2.jpg

Spider toenails!
aracno3.jpg

Don't you just want to stroke his (or more likely her) soft furry back?
aracno4.jpg

The spinners were spinning
aracno5.jpg

More spinning
aracno6.jpg

Just before I let it go... a bit damp
aracno7.jpg

It was a lively spider but I had a cunning plan. I cut the bottom off a plastic bottle to make a shallow tray and put a plug of wood in the middle a bit bigger than a cork. Then poured in some water to made a small wooden island. Originally I had a small piece of sandpaper on the top but spider kept trying to go under it.
He could only walk in circles so I snapped as he came round! Kept us both amused for a while but he was getting a bit wet so I let him go :)

Wonderful, Robert!

Bloody hell Robert, you've set that bar pretty high! The first spinning shot is probably one of the most interesting macros I've seen, very well done and I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

:puke: Well, I'm an arachnophobic - but these photos are brilliant :D

Those spinner shots are incredible. Yuck on the subject but they are absolutely captivating.

Absolutely amazing set of shots. Inventive and very clever!!

The first spinners shot was well underexposed so I had to push it to nearly +3 and it shows :(

Must admit I did smile when I saw it. You don't know for certain what you have got till you see them on screen. Deleted 70 kept 18.

Amazing. (y)

amazing stuff Robert, matt needs to come up with something to keep up i reckon!

Robert these are amazing! Some of the best macro shots I've seen. Well done mate!

I hate spiders, but curiosity got the better of me and I'm glad I popped in for a look. Not so keen on the full spidey shots for obvious reasons :puke: but the more abstract shots are great, and as others have said, the spinners shots are simply fab :clap:

No. Handheld - but all taken with flash on high speed sync so 1/1000th second. The flash was on a tripod so it stayed above the spider. Needed to be able to chase it around with the camera as it was never still for more than a second!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: fab shots again there!!! which bit was the bum tho? :thinking: none of it would win a pageant :D

No. Handheld - but all taken with flash on high speed sync so 1/1000th second. The flash was on a tripod so it stayed above the spider. Needed to be able to chase it around with the camera as it was never still for more than a second!

Impressive. What lens you use?

Excellent shots Robert. The spinning ones are particularly so.

Impressive. What lens you use?

Sigma 150 macro for the whole spider and a canon 50mm 1.4 attached to the front of the Sigma (face to face) with electrical tape for the super close ups.

The spiders rear end was about an inch or less from the rear glass of the 50mm. It is quite hard not to shadow the subject with the lens getting in the way of the flash.

(y)

Cracking, all of them!
Love the "spinnerets" shots especially (y) :clap:

Back