Spinning

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Okay, ignore the totally unoriginal title:

Spinning by Pat MacInnes, on Flickr

Taken a while ago (October 2009) while out for a walk with the misses at Bradgate Park, Leicester. As it says in the flickr description, it was a lucky shot - I'd not done anything like this for years and missed the fun of just moving the camera until I got something useable. The misses thought I was off my head, wandering around with my knuckles dragging the floor as I tried to get a low-down shot. At one point, a yorkshire terrier came bounding along to grab the camera - I rattled off a few of the dog in a similar fashion... these will be tucked away in a HD somewhere. I might search them out.

I uploaded it to Flickr before I used Lightroom so the EXIF isn't intact - I'll try to find the original.Probably using a shutter of about 1/15th, enough to at least wrist the camera.

I really like this shot!!
Great idea,
Is it as simple as a slow shutter speed and moving the camera during the exposure. How did you get the circular spinning? Just the direction of movement

MWHCVT said:
Sir please blow into this pipe in one continuous blow until I tell you to stop :LOL: :p actually that's not fair as I've done some very similar shots but they can be an utter hit and miss :shrug:

Matt

Ha :) some of the others were very 'miss' :)

jpay said:
I really like this shot!!
Great idea,
Is it as simple as a slow shutter speed and moving the camera during the exposure. How did you get the circular spinning? Just the direction of movement

Cheers (y)

Yep, just a slow shutter speed. It was probably shot Tv or P with program shift to get a slow shutter. I'd love to say there is a technique, but its just a case of twisting as you shoot. If I remember rightly, I got the best results holding the camera in two hands to get the circular streaking :)

Last edited:
At least I'm not the only one to try this sort of thing - usually not on all fours though :) I find I throw away more than I keep but I have to say this one of yours is definitely one of the keepers. Well done.

Back