Beginner Splash, a mess around with water.

Edit My Images
Yes
My second ever attempt at water photography. Not the best, but looking for advice and stuffs.

And yes, that is a cricket ball. :(

b5eL7no.jpg

Lqekyj9.jpg
SQWGkkr.jpg
47tYcmI.jpg

Whilst I am no expert in this field, or any other come to think of it, I do not think the angle of which your are taking the photo helps, as you are not overly able to make out the splash from the background. Try placing your camera lower to get as much of a side on view as you can. Also try and have a back ground that will allow the water to be shown up.

On the plus side, you seemed to have managed to get the focus and timing.

I strongly agree with you there, I just had no other way of getting a better angle due to the container used. I am aiming to get a clear fishtank sometime soon to use, maybe that will be better?

Why use such a large object to create the splash?
What lens are you using?
I used a metal mixing bowl, filled to the brim with water, sat on an upturned bowl in the kitchen sink and just allowed the tap to slowly drip into the water.
Behind the bowl I had a blue chopping board, to give some contrast and colour against the water.
I used a 60mm macro, with the camera mounted on a tripod.
The camera was set to manual mode and focus.
The timing was just trying to hit the shutter button when I thought.

There are some great images on flickr but this is one of the best I have managed so far.

View attachment 38727

I'll give it a shot, thank you so much for your help and advice. It's my first time doing this alone. I need the practice. ;)

What is it you wanted to achieve?
If it was the Splash Crown then a cricket ball is far too big.
Try just doing water on water.
If however you wanted to get a little colour then best to use something like fruit or parts of fruit and drop them into a glass with your camera level with the middle of the glass or whatever you use.
Then before you drop anything in. Put in a yellow pencil or something else long and bright and manual focus and set it to that.
You are then looking to drop things in and see what you get.
Its a very hard lady to master though.

Just to add to the above. If you want to get more detail of the water try to bounce the light off the surface by reflecting a flash off some paper or through perspex. Because the bottom of your container is fairly well lit you can;t notice much detail on the surface of the water where it matters. To me it doesn't matter what you use to make a splash as long as you are happy with it.

This picture below I captured by putting gels on a flash behind some perspex. The colours on the water is the reflection from the perspex. it's hard to explain lol. I guess what I'm trying to explain is light up the surface of the water, not inside the actual container...sort of. Kepp it up (y)

12340691693_28898f31cb_b by paul, on Flickr

Back