Critique Splashing water

Name
Donal
Edit My Images
Yes
Although I've done a bit of astrophotography, I'm fairly new to Photography. I've been trying to photograph birds making a splash as they take off and land. Unfortunately, I'm finding it difficult to expose or process so that both bird and splash look good. I've cropped a couple of images to just show the splash, and I quite like them.

Splash1P4031605_-1k5.jpg

Splash2P4031609-1k5.jpg

This is one where the bird came out not too bad

Splash3P4031607-1k5.jpg

I think the splashes are well captured and make for interesting abstracts, I wonder if they could stand a bit of brightening up?

I think the splashes are well captured and make for interesting abstracts, I wonder if they could stand a bit of brightening up?

I see what you mean. They look quite dark on this screen.
I'll do some brighter versions when I get home this evening. I'm beginning to think that my monitors at home have the brightness too high.

[edit] Should the thread title say "Critique Required"?
The only option that I could see when I created the thread was simply "Critique"???

Last edited:
Its all to do with correct exposure - mostly getting a good fast shutter speed and a relatively small aperture to get some DOF

I shot this at f8- ISO 800 @ 1/2500th sec- to almost guarantee sharpness in the bird and the splash :)

Are these type, you are trying to achieve?

3AGq51y.jpg

4lG0USD.jpg

S3wd6Ac.jpg

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its all to do with correct exposure - mostly getting a good fast shutter speed and a relatively small aperture to get some DOF

I shot this at f8- ISO 800 @ 1/2500th sec- to almost guarantee sharpness in the bird and the splash :)

Are these type, you are trying to achieve?

3AGq51y.jpg

4lG0USD.jpg

S3wd6Ac.jpg

Les :)
I'd be very happy with those... and definitely very happy with the way that the birds have come out.
The second one is my favourite out of the three.

I'll have a play with smaller apertures next weekend, although I'm usually struggling with too little light.

As sort-of-abstracts, the water only shots might work in B&W. If they do, you may well be able to get away with using a higher ISO.

Back