weekly Spooky's 52 Portrait Challenge: Week 3 added - JM as King Lear / Scarface

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Spooky's 52 Challenge: Portraits (Inspired by... and Homage to...)

Having failed on the 52 challenge last year (I got to week 4), I have decided to take up the gauntlet again but with my own set of criteria:

1. Submit one 'person photograph' per week
2. Can only use nifty fifty
3. Photographs will be either inspired by or pay homage to other photographers / famous works / famous people.

I think that is sufficient to make this more than just a series of grab shots of my mates.

Wish me luck!

Cheers

Spooks

Week 1: Peter Gabriel
Week 2: Dr Who
Week 3: King Lear / Scarface

Last edited:
Week 1: John Keogh does Peter Gabriel

JKPG-7786 by Spooky 173, on Flickr

Week 1: John Keogh does Peter Gabriel.

Have been listening to the PG and the New Blood Orchestra album and thought Photographing John in the style of the David Hiscock PG images from the Scratch My Back album would serve as a decent start.

Last edited:
No idea about the music, album or performer but I do like the picture. Mesmerising eyes and just enough detail in the face although I think the lighting could be turned down a tad. Forehead and hand look slightly blown.
Good luck for the other 51, you've chosen a great challenge.

This should be an interesting 52 weeks with those restrictions! I agree that the highlights look a touch blown, calm it down a bit.

Thanks for the comments guys; maybe I have taken on a bit too much but we will see how long I can make this last. I take on board the thoughts about the blown highlights but am perplexed as the portraits look fine on my Mac, iPad, laptop and PC.

I am out shooting week 2 tonight and trying something very different to this - watch this space.

Last edited:

LL as the 12th Doctor by Spooky 173, on Flickr

A little bit later than expected but here is week 2.

Was always going to be a no-brainer as to who Luke would be in my 52. As a real Dr. Who aficionado, we thought it would be fun to do a mock up promotional shot as if he were to become the next Dr Who.

(Moffat and Gatis please be aware!)

Last edited:
A pair of excellent images. Clear and sharp in all the right places...

JM as KL by Spooky 173, on Flickr

Week 3: JM does King Lear / Scarface

This image has been produced to promote my forthcoming production of Shakespeare's King Lear with JM playing the lead role.

Last edited:
Hi Simon....apologies for missing your thread....sooooo wrapped up in commenting on the themed 52's I guess :crying:

Not normally one for portraits I must confess but I'm loving your images (y)

Dr Who is just brilliant....look a like or what ... (y)

The Scarface image.....just as I remember the poster ...never saw the film but the image sticks :clap:

Excellent....must try harder to keep up now I've found you (y)

Hi Lynne

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I am a little behind in comments myself, and in posting portraits up - got a small production of King Lear opening in a fortnight so my shooting times are now fitting around work and rehearsals.

Cheers

Spooks

Thanks. Have got a back log to go through now. Been too busy with production of King Lear to keep up to date. Roll on Easter holidays!

Back