Sport and the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8

awp

Suspended / Banned
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Anyone using this lens for sports shooting? Is the AF fast enough to keep up? I'd be using it on a D3. TIA!

I think it depends on what you want to use it for and the lighting conditions you want to use it in. James Ward on here has used it for most of his sports (football and rugby) so far, if you look through his threads you can see the results.

As far as i know its a very good lens but the AF starts to struggle under poor lighting. If you do any wildlife its also highly regarded by the likes of Fracster.

its a very capable lens but struggles in poor light, ie under floodlights, you should also be aware that any camera attached to it wont track subjects coming directly if you try to zoom at the same time, you need to zoom, track, shoot, re zoom, track, shoot and so on.

its suprising the number of owners dont know this and put it down to a bad lens

Thanks for the info - at the moment I'm using the Nikon 300mm f/4 - how do you think it compares?

Hi Andrew,

We use one of these as our main lens and would estimate that at least 80% of our photos are taken with it. Check out the links in our sig for some examples - we shoot loads of different sports with it - indoors and out. I think that all of the shots in our introductory thread were taken with this lens. We have used it on the 20D, 30D, 40D and currently the 1D MKIII. Needless to say, we love it!

Most threads we have read about this lens usually compare it to the Canon/Nikon f/2.8 300mm primes. However, in our opinion that is not really a fair comparison.

Firstly - you would expect any prime lens to focus faster than a zoom lens at the same focal length - that is surely the main advantage (for sports shooting) brought about by the simpler optics.

Secondly - nobody ever seems to make the point that this is the only zoom lens you can buy that goes up to 300mm at f/2.8. The flexibility has always been the deal breaker for us. In a sports setting, especially outdoors on a pitch, it simply gives us the most opportunities to take pictures of the action, which is what you we there to do after all.

We have never once envied the guys with a 300mm prime on one body and a 70-200mm on another. We are totally confident that the AF on our lens works faster than having to switch between cameras :)

Anyway - those are our opinions. We are happy with the AF and, most importantly, with the results the lens gives us.

Sam & David

Hi Andrew,

We use one of these as our main lens and would estimate that at least 80% of our photos are taken with it. Check out the links in our sig for some examples - we shoot loads of different sports with it - indoors and out. I think that all of the shots in our introductory thread were taken with this lens. We have used it on the 20D, 30D, 40D and currently the 1D MKIII. Needless to say, we love it!

Most threads we have read about this lens usually compare it to the Canon/Nikon f/2.8 300mm primes. However, in our opinion that is not really a fair comparison.

Firstly - you would expect any prime lens to focus faster than a zoom lens at the same focal length - that is surely the main advantage (for sports shooting) brought about by the simpler optics.

Secondly - nobody ever seems to make the point that this is the only zoom lens you can buy that goes up to 300mm at f/2.8. The flexibility has always been the deal breaker for us. In a sports setting, especially outdoors on a pitch, it simply gives us the most opportunities to take pictures of the action, which is what you we there to do after all.

We have never once envied the guys with a 300mm prime on one body and a 70-200mm on another. We are totally confident that the AF on our lens works faster than having to switch between cameras :)

Anyway - those are our opinions. We are happy with the AF and, most importantly, with the results the lens gives us.

Sam & David

Do a little research and some testing and you will find its only 289mm at tle long end, i miss its flexibility as a zoom but for me it just didnt focus fast enouth under floodlights

Anyone using this lens for sports shooting? Is the AF fast enough to keep up? I'd be using it on a D3. TIA!

Its definitely an alternative to the primes. For motorsport I think its an ideal lens, although there are quality issued, a friend has had 2 copies and on his third and his not happy with that. (focusing issues with his 1D).

In good light it superb, fast focusing, sharp, but if you start to challenge it abit then its performance starts to fall off, especially when shooting fast jets through the welsh hills and that's why another friend sold his and moved to a canon 300mm f2.8

It depends what you want to photograph, but its the only 300mm f2.8 zoom lens on the market and it does have its supporters.

Last edited:
I've used one for rugby, cricket, cycling and athletics - all with good results. As other posters have commented, not so good for low light.

Back